Sign in to follow this  

Are counterarguments required/suggested in History EE's? HELP ASAP

Hi,

So I was just wondering if counterarguments are required or merely suggested in EE's, specifically for history?

My EE is a compare/contrast essay of why Che Guevara's revolutionary efforts were successful in Cuba but a failure in Bolivia. So would this require a counterargument? i.e he was unsuccessful in Cuba yet successful in Bolivia? Because that would be quite difficult to argue...

It's not a 'requirement,' but if you want to get an A or B then you should definitely include counter-arguments. By the way, your 'counter-argument' does not have to be the polar opposite of your argument. For example, if you're arguing that 'X was very successful' a 'counter-argument' such as 'X was moderately successful' would suffice. When I wrote mine I used the phrase 'alternate viewpoint' which might make it a bit easier for you.

Just to add to Khimberleigh's reply: a counter-argument (however defined) contributes to the richness and complexity of your EE essay. Though not a "requirement" it is a standard feature of good research. And, as already pointed out, you stand a better chance of achieving a higher mark for this reason.

Hi, from what i understand it is very important to acknowledge differing opinions and differing historiographies, especially if your topic is controversial.