Calculator for SL Math

the blonde one

I'm shopping tonight with my mom for school. I have SL Math in my second semester. What calculator do I need? I'm assuming it's a TI-84 (correct me if I'm wrong haha.) Or should I just wait for my teacher in February to instruct the calculator I need?
P.S. How much should I expect to pay for this calculator?

It's probably a good idea to wait and ask your teacher. The Ti-84 is a pretty old at this point, so there are a number of better ones if you look around.

My school primarily uses the Casio FX-CG20, which is quite a bit better overall. Judging by amazon prices it seems to be extremely expensive in Canada for some reason though (it was around same price as the Ti-84 here in Germany), so you may want to look around to see what there is.

As for cost, I'm guessing it'll be around 100-150 CAD depending on what you get.

• 1 month later...

I finished Math SL last year in grade 11 and I recommend the TI-84 Plus. My school provided calculators for our exam and they were TI-84s, so having it throughout the year was great practice. We had a few people who purchased Nspires and suffered as they weren't familiar with the interface for the exam. The 84 is also very simple to use and all you really need, and is significantly cheaper at around $150 or less. Good luck :)

This post isn't directed towards anyone above, but I thought this XKCD comic was relevant,

1996.png

Just a general note to those looking for a calculator, but I would strongly recommend searching around before settling for a Ti-84 or similar. The are actually calculators that are better (with coloured displays!) that can do more stuff like keeping simple calculations in surd form, easier graphing options, etc. They are still allowed by the IB, they usually aren't that much more expensive either.

It's a bit confusing since i don't think the IB has a complete list of allowed calculators, but it's worth the hassle to find out if certain models are and aren't allowed. I used the TI-84 in grades 9&10, but the CG-FX20 I have now is SO much easier to work with, it'll give you a massive advantage in calculator exams as you don't need to spend time fiddling around with various options.

• Like 1

I found a list of allowed GDC calculators here: http://www.ibo.org/examiners/documents/ExRecruitmentPolicyV1.2.pdf

Texas Instruments TI 84 Plus silver edition
TI 84 Plus
TI 83 Plus silver edition
TI 83 Plus
TI Nspire (non-CAS), with 84 faceplate
TI Nspire (non-CAS) versions 1.3 or higher
TI Nspire (non-CAS) versions 2.1.1 or higher
TI 83 / 86 / 85 / 82
Casio CFX 9850 Plus
FX 9750 Plus
CFX 9950 Plus
FX 9860G II
FX 9860 AU Plus
Graph 65 Plus
Graph 85
FX 9860 AU
FX 9860 G
FX 9860 G SD
FX 9860G II SD
FX 1.0 Plus
Graph 35 Plus
Graph 85 SD
Non-plus models from the 9800 or 9700 series
Sharp EL 9900
EL 9650

EL 9600
Our maths teacher suggested Casio FX9860 G11, TI Nspire CX and TI 84 Plus Silver, so some of my friends and I went with Nspire.
It wasn't cheap.
Edited by AgeMarkus
  • Like 1

I thought this XKCD comic was relevant

There's always a relevant xkcd, I love it!

And OP, even though you've gotten many replies to your question, I'll put in my own input anyway. I suggest you buy whichever calculator the rest of your math class buys so that if you have a question on how to do something you can simply ask a classmate or your teacher. Also if your class is doing something on the calculator as a group you'd be able to follow. So basically, I think you should wait until your teachers tells you what calculator to buy :)