Sign in to follow this  

Physics EE Narrowing Down Topic About Springs

So I've decided to do my extended essay in physics and I'm interested in doing something related to springs. I've considered something related to the elasticity of coil springs, but I'd like some advice, and perhaps some ideas! I think there's a lot of potential in this area but it's very difficult to foresee what specifically will be successful. If anyone could help me figure out a focused research question I would be eternally grateful. Thank you!

An obvious experiment would be how there is variance in the elasticity of the spring as you twist it, bend it, etc. or perhaps examine how and what factors will cause the elasticity of a spring to decrease. But there aren't many concepts you can apply to this except for Hooke's Law and Potential energy. For the RQ, make sure you identify the important variables.

Just remember that many physics experiments will not turn out to be "successful" so flexibility is the key. Leave a lot of time for experimentation as you will have to tweak around the procedure and get new material.

Otherwise, Good luck!