I received a simple package for my IA research for the summer from my teacher before the end of school. It contained pages about search engines and I wanted to share it with those who are having trouble researching.

All4One - One of the first metasearch engines, All4One allows simultaneous searching of 10 major search engines.

Alta Vista: Powered by Yahoo! Search, it allows you to search for websites, audio, video, and news. It also allows searches by location and language.

Bing: Microsoft's search engine.

Dogpile: A metasearch engine that will search Google, MSN, Yahoo!, and Ask.

Environment Web Directory: A web directory that focuses on environmental and health issues.

Excite: A search engine that lets you search by language, for video, audio, and mp3, and by relevant date.

Google Scholar: allows you to search for more academically-oriented searches.

Lycos: A search engine that allows for news searches but not does have many advanced search features.

Metacrawler: A metasearch engine and will search for other search engines.

The Open Directory Project: One of the largest and most comprehensive human-edited directories in the world. Only higher quality websites will be listed here as each site must be approved by a human directory editor.

WebCrawler: Another search engine that allows searching by location, domain name, and for multimedia.

"Invisible Web": These following websites will give you access to specific information that is hard to find on normal metasearch and Boolean operators.

Alexa: A website that archives older websites that are no longer available on the Internet. For example, Alexa has about 87 million websites from the 2000 election that are for the most part no longer available on the Internet.

Complete Planet: Provides an extensive list of databases that cannot be searched by conventional search engine technology. It provides access to lists of databases which you can then search individually.

The Directory of Open Access Journals: Another full text journal searchable database.

FindArticles: Indexes over 10 million articles from a variety of different publications.

FindLaw: A comprehensive site that provides information on legal issues organized by category.

High Wire: Brought to you by Stanford University, HighWire press provides access to one of the largest databases of free, full text, scholarly content.

Infomine: A research database created by librarians for use at the university level. It includes both a browsable catalogue and Searching capabilities.

Mag Portal: A search engine that will allow you to search for free online magazine articles on a wide range of topics.

Now that I'm done typing this up for you guys, the word 'search' looks like an alien.

Hope this helps! Research on!

• Like 2

This is neat, I think most people just go right for google without even giving thought to google scholar let alone some other alternative meta engines. I personally used google scholar more and more as the shift from grade 11 history essays to grade 12 history essays took a leap from reiterating opinions from shallow textbooks, to having significantly narrower topics.