Video Games for CAS?

• 7 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/18/2013 at 5:28 PM, the blonde one said:

Conversation with my friend:

Him: Would some kind of video game count as creative?
Me:Look it up. I doubt it.
Him: What seriously? That's dumb, video games can be really creative
Me: Yes, the VIDEO game is creative, not you when you're playing it. Whoever made the game could have qualified for the hours, but not you. It's not that dumb
Him: Lol seriously though, you can create many things in video games. Depending on the game. Some are just applications that you can use as your own sandbox.

Help me settle this argument? Cause frankly I'm not sure anymore, but still leaning towards it not qualifying.

Frankly speaking, Minecraft would be the first thing to come to mind because it's a sandbox game and allows for your creativity to go wild but placing blocks virtually probably wouldn't be enough for a CAS or SAA project. However, you could try my idea (also I realized that you may not even need it anymore but here's an idea for other people doing their CAS now) by creating something FOR the minecraft COMMUNITY. Which is what I'm dong, I am waiting for approval but hopefully, I should get it. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2013 at 7:28 PM, the blonde one said:

Conversation with my friend:

Him: Would some kind of video game count as creative?
Me:Look it up. I doubt it.
Him: What seriously? That's dumb, video games can be really creative
Me: Yes, the VIDEO game is creative, not you when you're playing it. Whoever made the game could have qualified for the hours, but not you. It's not that dumb
Him: Lol seriously though, you can create many things in video games. Depending on the game. Some are just applications that you can use as your own sandbox.

Help me settle this argument? Cause frankly I'm not sure anymore, but still leaning towards it not qualifying.

I am a gr 12 ib student and my supervisor for cas said any game you play that meets the learning outcomes of cas qualifies. For my cas I put the video game The Forest and just explained how it meets the outcomes of cas. The forest for example is a surviving in the forest simulation game it simulates what it would be like to live in forest or camp and you learn how to survive so you are learning a new skill camping etc anything you play that you can explain how it meets the cas outcomes qualifies hope that helped