soreb11

I'm really worried that my ee question might be too broad or too basic.

Right now I'm planning to do:

"To what extent does imagery and characterisaion in Sylvia Plaths novel, The Bell Jar, reinforce western societies need for conformity?"

Is this okay? Or should I be aiming for a deeper analysis? Thanks!

The first half is promising but the second half ( From "reinforce" onwards) launches you off into a huge, sweeping field of (sociological) speculation.

Reformulation of the question, after a careful re-reading the aims of the EE for Group 1, is what you need to do. It is not a question of depth, but of understanding the nature and purpose of the Language A Extended Essay.

Edited by Blackcurrant

I'm not sure if this is what Blackcurrant is getting at or not, but maybe just re-wording your RQ would help (at least to begin with)? Maybe something along the lines of "How are Plath's opinions on societal pressures to conform in Western society portrayed through her use of characterization and imagery in her novel, The Bell Jar?"

Edited by poppop828

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to my supervisor about it and they said the exact same thing, so ive basically just switched the order of my question around so that it says

"To what extent does Sylvia Plath explore societal need for conformity in Western society through her use of characterisation and imagery in her novel, The Bell Jar?"

So now the focus is more heavily stressed on conformity in society. Thanks both of you!