Math Exploration - Four Color Theorem

bigbluesun

Hello everyone

I'm currently doing research for my SL exploration but I'm stuck. I'm not asking for topic suggestions, I understand that's my responsibility. I realized that I'm interested in "Four Color Theorem" but I don't quite know how I'm supposed to explore the problem here.

I don't think I can proove it! Even real mathematicians did that with the help of computers.

I know the topic very well, it's very simple. I just don't see how I can demonstrate my mathematics skills (my skillset isn't broad) without getting in over my head - if you know what I mean.

Is simply explaining the issue and showing what other people (ie - mathematicians) have done on it while reflecting on my own experience studying this topic enough? I mean like a presentation of things that exist already. I don't think I can come up with something new.

My teacher's being very helpful but somehow I'm not seeing how I should cover this.

Thank you very much!

Of what I've heard it took the mathematicians who solved it about 1000 cases in order to prove the theorem. Perhaps some other people have found a simpler way by know, but I still think it will require some high level stuff.

Then again, I don't know how the new exploration is supposed to be done. Just a warning.