Teens kill Australian man because they were bored?

Brienna

Three teens shot and killed an Australian man visiting in Oklahoma City because they got "bored".

What. WHAT.

There are so many things wrong with this sentence it just boggles the mind, and I had to ask for opinions.

Where do I even start?

Here's the article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/oklahoma-police-say-australian-baseball-player-killed-on-street-because-teenagers-were-bored/2013/08/19/cc4f5dd4-092d-11e3-89fe-abb4a5067014_story.html

I'm curious to know..

• Obviously this isn't a reasonable thing to do, but why do you think they feel justified in taking a stranger's life like that?
  • Should they be tried as adults or juveniles?
  • Your reactions in general

DISCUSS

This is by no means justifiable. I feel disappointment towards my own generation.
I can't believe three teenagers agreed to kill an unknown for the sake of fun. It was not one's onset of insanity, there were three of them.
The lack of consideration these teens have shown is abominable, did they think life was a videogame? That once you shot a man, three more men show up and the game starts over?
The oldest of the trio is seventeen like me, and I believe his actions cannot be overlooked just because of his age. At seventeen you're undoubtedly young, yet relatively mature enough to ponder your decisions. And definitely not a rutless murderer.
A person was killed because three young people took homicide light-heardedly; I wonder what do their parents think of their sons... Or what did the sons think their parents would say, when they shot that poor guy.
But why did they kill him? The only logical answer I can think of is, they're insane. Three teenagers all being mentally disturbed and hanging out together without some kind of supervision whatsoever, however, sounds very unlikely to me.
The other option is that they were lucid and immoral.
I can't find any words that express all the consternation I feel.

I don't want to ignite an argument on wheter American citizens should be allowed to own guns/mortal weapons, but why on Earth did that teenager have a gun? Just saying. This really puzzles me.

Edited by vals

I'm completely disgusted. I don't know how the US justice system works - morally, they should obviously have some sort of punishment.
They felt it was justified to do it because they were bored. That's all they were thinking - or rather they weren't thinking at all. It just amazes me that they were bored and actually found/had a gun to fiddle around with. They could have been suicidal and interested in death (depressed, who knows, psych students help me out hahaha) but by no means had any right to do anything like that! Even though this is still crule and wrong, they're in Oklahoma; I'm sure they had plenty of squirrels or so to aim at. I don't know. But a human being??

People are a reflection of the society that they live in. If this was a one in a million case we could easily brush it off as isolated incident of psychopathy, but these un provoked murderers have become increasingly common in the US. I think the country should take a look as a whole what is actually being promoted consciously as well as sub-consciously. Things like this are not normal and shouldnt be happening in a country with so much prosperity and opportunity. Oh and just in case, tighten up gun laws a little. That being said any of the suggest laws seen after new town wouldn't have helped this case, nor would a complete ban. Sick people do what sick people do. Make other sick or kill them!

Edited by Luka Petrovic
  • Like 1

This leaves me speechless.

It's sick. There is no way that this can be considered justifiable. I think the only way this could possibly be explained is (as someone already mentioned above) that they somehow thought that they were in a video game, or in a virtual world of some sort. Or that there actions wouldn't be accounted for later on. It's horrific that they didn't think what they were doing through and just performed an immoral act that would have severe consequences. How did the value of this man's life, his family and friends not cross the teenagers' minds?? I am astounded at their ignorance and lack of morality.

This is by no means justifiable. I feel disappointment towards my own generation.

Why? Are you trying to imply this sort of thing never happened before? :blink:

That's not what I've said; what I really meant was that my disappointment is continuously growing because of things like these.

It's not like I've never heard of murder committed by minors, or drug dealing, prostitution, stalking, violent/amoral behaviour, or any relateable phenomena

How could one ever justify killing people "just for fun"?

That's not what I've said; what I really meant was that my disappointment is continuously growing because of things like these.

It's not like I've never heard of murder committed by minors, or drug dealing, prostitution, stalking, violent/amoral behaviour, or any relateable phenomena

Right, thanks for the clarification. It was a bit confusing. Still, there's no reason to be 'disappointed' in this generation because no generation you're in would satisfy you! Ever.

People are a reflection of the society that they live in. If this was a one in a million case we could easily brush it off as isolated incident of psychopathy, but these un provoked murderers have become increasingly common in the US. I think the country should take a look as a whole what is actually being promoted consciously as well as sub-consciously. Things like this are not normal and shouldnt be happening in a country with so much prosperity and opportunity. Oh and just in case, tighten up gun laws a little. That being said any of the suggest laws seen after new town wouldn't have helped this case, nor would a complete ban. Sick people do what sick people do. Make other sick or kill them!

But intentional homicides have been dropping in the USA for years.

It's not like I've never heard of murder committed by minors, or drug dealing, prostitution, stalking, violent/amoral behavior, or any relateable phenomena

Right, thanks for the clarification. It was a bit confusing. Still, there's no reason to be 'disappointed' in this generation because no generation you're in would satisfy you! Ever.

But intentional homicides have been dropping in the USA for years.

People kill each other all the time for survival. It's not justified, but it is at least rooted in something somewhat human/normal, the need to survive. This however and several other killings that have been occurring in the US are unusual in that they are done for pleasure or some other disturbing emotional outlet.

Do you see the difference between "hey I'm going to pop this guy so I can sell his stuff and get ____ to survive" and "Hey, lets just kill this guy, have some fun."

Both are unjustified and wrong, but one is significantly more worrisome.