Sure about Career?

CodeRed15

It's been a couple of months since I picked my HL's and SL's for grade 11 and 12. A huge problem I faced was what courses to take. At the end I ended up taking HL English, Biology, History and SL Math, Chemistry and French. Now I haven't decided what career I wish to pursue in the future. So my question is, did you guys know what career or field of work you wished to pursue before picking your IB subjects?

Yes, I've known since I was 9 that I want to become a veterinarian.

I chose SL maths, french B, and biology; HL chemistry, economics, and english A1.

My school didn't give us much choice..we only got to choose between bio/physics SL and econ/history HL.

Otherwise I would've preferred to take maths, bio and chem HL with french, econ and english SL.

No, I did not know at all, so don't worry, there's always a way.. I just picked the subjects which interested me most, and I kind of knew (and know) that I don't want to work in the field of natural science, so therefore there were nothing special to think about for future :good:

Edited by QueenSara

yes, as long as i can remember i wanted to be a doctor

So i took:

HL Biology

HL A2 Arabic

HL Economics

SL A1 English

SL Math

SL Chemistry

Our school didnt really give us a choice except between SL Chemistry or SL Art....and to study medicine i had to take SL Chemistry!!

I am in the same boat - don't really have a defined career choice. I am looking either into traditional medical curriculum (i.e. BS/allopathic MD) or a more research-oriented molecular medicine/drug discvery & development BS/PhD curriculum. I guess the subjects you take really only matter to the university you are applying to. Generally in the US, universities don't care what IB subjects you take so long as you have a well-rounded and challenging load.

I didn't know exactly what I wanted to be but I knew I wanted to pursue something in the business or medicine field. I'm not sure about other univesities but Canadian universities are very flexible if you take the IB program.

Oh that's good since I'll probably be attending a Can. uni I tried to pick subjects that allow me to pursue a variety of careers in the future.

No, I did not know at all, so don't worry, there's always a way.. I just picked the subjects which interested me most, and I kind of knew (and know) that I don't want to work in the field of natural science, so therefore there were nothing special to think about for future :good:

Thanks. I did that too. Picked the subjects that interested me the most while at the same time I made sure I had the required subjects to pursue a variety of careers in the future.

Edited by HMSChocolate

Actually, I found out what career suited me the most while picking my subjects...

I came across Psychology and I was like, wow! This is what I am going to look most forward to; to which my mom turns and says 'okay, a psychologe is like a nure, a psychiatrist is like a doctor; don't you want to study to be a Psychiatrist?' ...and I liked the idea and was rather very happy...and because I wanted to choose the rest of subjects accordingly, I looked up in wikipedia and found out that you actually have to do a medical course to be a psycho(ahem..iatrist). But I was too happy to be bothered and decided to go for it. So I ended up with these subjects Psychology HL, Biology HL, Chemistry HL, English A1 SL, French B SL, Maths SL.

Since you need to do two sciences at hl or one science and then maths hl (which I was not ready for) to get accepted in a medical school, I had to say bye-bye to Theatre Studies, which is something I really longed for. But ah! thank God there is something called CAS.

Actually, I found out what career suited me the most while picking my subjects...

I came across Psychology and I was like, wow! This is what I am going to look most forward to; to which my mom turns and says 'okay, a psychologe is like a nure, a psychiatrist is like a doctor; don't you want to study to be a Psychiatrist?' ...and I liked the idea and was rather very happy...and because I wanted to choose the rest of subjects accordingly, I looked up in wikipedia and found out that you actually have to do a medical course to be a psycho(ahem..iatrist). But I was too happy to be bothered and decided to go for it. So I ended up with these subjects Psychology HL, Biology HL, Chemistry HL, English A1 SL, French B SL, Maths SL.

Since you need to do two sciences at hl or one science and then maths hl (which I was not ready for) to get accepted in a medical school, I had to say bye-bye to Theatre Studies, which is something I really longed for. But ah! thank God there is something called CAS.

I hope you realise that psychiatrists, have to treat some superdooper crazy people, eg paranoid schizophreniacs, psycopaths(who you can't really help because it is a personality characteristic not a mental state) real mental institution stuff. According to my mother who is a doctor with a few friends in psychiatry and apparently a few of psychiatrists end up seeing psychiatrists themselves, so it is very difficult and intense profession. Whereas psycologists don'y work with this type of patient so much. I suppose you could be a child psychiatrist, which as I see it could be more disturbing or less depend on you.

I'm going to be a senior in the program and I am still unsure of what I want to do with my future. I think your future (your career, at least) is as solid as your own self-image. I admire many of my peers because they are very strong personalities with good sense of self; they will be successful, I know. As for me...I have self-esteem and self-identity issues. When I was younger, I was sure I wanted to be a doctor. However, the left-brained subjects (math, science...) are NOT for me! Haha. I'm more right-brained. In any case, if you're unsure of your career path, I'd suggest exploring liberal arts schools or school with many options.

Good luck.

It's been a couple of months since I picked my HL's and SL's for grade 11 and 12. A huge problem I faced was what courses to take. At the end I ended up taking HL English, Biology, History and SL Math, Chemistry and French. Now I haven't decided what career I wish to pursue in the future. So my question is, did you guys know what career or field of work you wished to pursue before picking your IB subjects?

Well, yes and no. I had a sort of vauge general idea that i wanted to go into foregin relations of some sort but had no idea of anything more specfic. That's one of the reason's why i picked the IB. Because its so intetrnationally recognised. I've also always had a passion for french, so i knew that i wanted to do something with that later on. I had a more specifc idea however, of what university course i wanted to do, and that is the international studies course.

Lucky for me this course didnt actually have any pre requisates so i was free to choose whatever i wanted. However i tried to pick subjects that would help me on the way, like a language and history etc. At the moment i still dont have a firm idea about what exactally i want to do, like heaps of other people who know what they want to be for the age of four, so im just sort of going with the flow and hoping that something will come my way after i finish up at university

I wouldnt worry about it. Heaps of people dont know what they want to do untill about hald way through college. Haha your actually taking all the same subjects as me except fot chemistry... there i do psychology.

Just make sure that if you have a uni course in mind, that you have the right subjects, other wise you could probably do a bridgnig course over the summer anyway.

the worlds your oyster :(

-soph x

• 1 year later...

I new I wanted to study Computer Science since 8th grade , but this year I had a sudden interest in Economics. So you can't always know what you want to study. Even when you are sure , you may find something else equally good and interesting. So I believe you shouldn't worry. Through the subjects you chose, you'll find your way :D

I have no idea what I want to do in terms of a career! I like too many subjects :D However, I managed to narrow my choices down to what I figured would give a wider spectrum for uni choices - i.e. the sciences and mathematics, as opposed to HL languages, etc. since there are so many different science/maths-based courses... and you can still take law. Also, I presumed (maybe wrongly!) that there would be less competition/ it would be easier to get a job with a scientific degree as opposed to artsy. Usually better paid, too. Obv., I do really like science, as well.

The dilemma is, though, that when it comes to uni I'll have a sudden inspiration to want to apply for Classics or something.. uh oh. :)

Edited by Yasmeen