Are the subjects you choose really vital?

Franz Liszt

Hi all, i'm a prospective student currently eyeing on the Uni of Melbourne. I'm interested in their geology course but their requirements simply state that all we need (aside from a certain score) is one subject in math (sl/hl), english and a natural science. My natural science at the moment is biology, and while I have checked and confirmed that it is accepted, doesn't geology focus much more on the chemistry and physics of the planet than biology? Won't this pose some sort of problem for me if I were to be accepted?

• Like 1

Er, no. If that this what they say are their minimum requirements, and you meet them, then you should be able to apply and succeed in their course, should you be accepted.

The university would know what kind of subjects prepare you for any particular course that they're offering, much more than you would know in any case.

Don't question it. Be happy you fulfil the criteria and go for it! :)

Ha, I actually find it amusing that Melbourne Uni has any prerequisites at all, considering some of the non-existent entry requirements that Sydney universities have for entry into science degrees. Looking at their website, you should be fine with your Maths (I reckon you could even get away with Studies if you really wanted to :) ) and your single science - which also happens to be at HL. If you really want to be certain about entry requirements, ring them up and you can nail more specific answers out of them. But my experience with Australian unis is that subject choice isn't that much of an issue for admission. Whilst it may be more useful to have chem or physics at IB in order to get a bit of a grounding into the scientific concepts regarding geology, if it were absolutely necessary then it would be a prerequisite. Otherwise, I assume that you can pick it up or do a bridging course with very little difficulty. And remember, if you don't end up liking geology, you can change your major once you get started on a Bachelor of Science.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...