Um... is it a good subject choice?

peter wai

Is the following a good choice of subjects if I wish to study economics at university?

Econ HL

Math HL

English B HL

Chinese A Language & Literature SL

History SL

Physics SL

Is it true that Math HL is 'very' hard? :( Also, will English B be considered an easy option? (Well, my English is not bad, but never to the near-native level.. and if I do English A I have to do it at SL which means I have to do one more HL...)

Please give more advice thanks!

It seems lie a good combination to me. However if you are EXTREMELY sure that you want to do economics i would go with something like this:

Economics HL

Maths HL

Business & Management HL

English B SL

Chinese A SL

Physics SL (in case the workload turns out to be too challenging you can switch to ESS)

English HL is totally worthless for economics. You will be fine by taking SL. History is good if you want to keep your options open, but if you are sure about economics go for B&M.

but if you are sure about economics go for B&M.

Actually, I don't think that's true. Generally speaking B&M tends to be regarded as a 'soft' subject by a number of UK universities, it may actually put him at a disadvantage in comparison to taking history. Even a lot of business courses (for the UK at least) only specifies economics as a minimum requirement, I don't really think the subject is particularly relevant either.

• Like 1

If the university doesn't specify English A then go for B! I think that's fine and if points are a big consideration it's not easy to get 7 at Maths HL.

Someone from my school who got 45 last year said that only people who 不自量力 (Chinese A lol :D) would take it, of course you could handle it, but reconsider if you really want and love maths :)

There are a number of people who were good at HL Math at my school. Unfortunately I was not one of them and dropped out after the first semester. If it gets too hard to the point that you are too frustrated and you feel that you cannot do it, there is no shame in dropping out to SL Math. Instead of SL History, I would have gone for HL. The difference is another paper, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally consider Math HL easy. If it is'very' hard, depends on how well you can learn mathematics. But even if you're not good at it, do past papers. The tasks are schematic. In my school, people get usually at least 5s, many also 6s, some 7s.

English A - I also had this idea to take it, but English B is an easy, good grade, and it is enough unless you want to study sth related to literature/ are close to or already speak like a native. A languages are a lot of reading and discussing.