Required length of Mathematical Exploration and Personal Engagement?

id1822

Could anyone please inform me what the required length for the Exploration is? Also how could one show personal engagement with the topic?

Math IAs are meant to be 6-12 pages long. An easy way to show personal engagement is to carry out experiments yourself and gather your own data - but this is only possible if your IA is about something physics or probability related. Do you have any idea on what you want to do it on? It would be easier to answer your question if you told us in which direction you plan on going.

• Like 1

Could anyone please inform me what the required length for the Exploration is? Also how could one show personal engagement with the topic?

Math IAs are meant to be 6-12 pages long. An easy way to show personal engagement is to carry out experiments yourself and gather your own data - but this is only possible if your IA is about something physics or probability related. Do you have any idea on what you want to do it on? It would be easier to answer your question if you told us in which direction you plan on going.

that's what my teacher told me as well.. i mean the 6-12 pages part..

but a friend of mine was telling me we're allowed to exceed 12 pages and in fact, it's actually better if we work on more than 12 pages.. not sure if he was messing around or not :/

and yeah, he does HL math :P

but a friend of mine was telling me we're allowed to exceed 12 pages and in fact, it's actually better if we work on more than 12 pages

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think you can. The 6-12 pages is a guideline, the same way 150 hours for CAS is a guideline; you can have more or less, the number they give you is just recommended.

• 1 year later...

I'm planning on measuring the length of the arc of a road which will be identified on Google Earth with coordinates captured and I will then transfer the image onto a software such as Geogebra to be scaled and then finding line of best fit --> arc length...

But I don't know how to demonstrate personal engagement?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!