Should I take IB Music?

Franz Liszt

Hey guys, i'm in a bit of a dilemma here. Should I take IB music or should I continue taking my IB History? History is simply an interest, a subject that i've taken to please my parents coupled with a bit of self-interest but music is my passion. I'm just wondering whether universities (specfu will look down upon music as an "easy" (What rubbish!) subject as opposed to history...

Could somebody offer their opinions on this little problem?

Thank you in advance! :)

Depends on what you want to study later on in university. If history is required or recommended, it would probably be best to stick with it. On the other hand, if it's not going to really benefit you in your later course of study, and your universities don't require it, and you can get a better score in music rather than a low score in history, it might be worth it to switch.

• 2 months later...

If you plan on attending an advanced university, IB music could be a benefit and a draw-back. The benefit of music is that it creates well-rounded students, which universities like to see. They want to see that you can add something to their community instead of just being "another student". Unfortunately, some colleges would view college as a BS class because it is not academically rigorous.

Regardless or your decision, I recommend that you continue to play an instrument. I can not tell you how many students that used to be in band, but aren't anymore. I can also tell you that the ability to play an instrument is a wonderfull gift, and you should not let IB get in the way of your music experience.

PM me if you have any questions.

Best of luck on your decision.

• 2 months later...

IB Music is not easy, but if it is your passion, then I would recommend that you stick with it. I think your greater concern should be about enjoying the class and the subject, not about how universities will see it. If you know either teachers, I would suggest that you choose the class of the teacher you prefer. I generally love music and dislike history, but because I love my history teacher and don't really like my music teacher, I tend to prefer my history class over my music class.

• 2 months later...