IB .

Hello everyone,

I am currently starting my EE and have come up with some brief topics that interest me. I just want some feedback, suggestions and recommandations from you guys. So here are the topics:

- The effectiveness of the use of geometry and parent functions to model the structure of the seven

wonders of the world.

- The effectiveness of trigonometric functions to model the sound waves of music.

- Analysing, Solving, and Extending on a Mathematic Olympiad problem/or a one of the problems on the Euclid Math Contests (Waterloo Contests).

So, what do you guys think?

Thanks all

Hello! All 3 ideas could be good depending on how you carry them out. Since I don't know what exactly you plan on doing for your proposed ideas, I can't tell you if it'll end well or not.. However, I think that the first 2 (the second especially) could simply end up with you showing examples without arriving to a focused conclusion. Here's an IA done on music and trig functions and it was far too simple, so it scored lowly; make sure you don't do the same mistakes as this person, however stupid they may seem. The Fourier analysis seems to be suitable for this topic, maybe you could explore that. here's an irrelevant joke about the Fourier analysis

The third idea, on the other hand, I like. Once again it depends what question you choose, so make sure you choose a question that's simple so that you'll be able to answer it and then extend it. This EE was done on the same basis; a math olympiad question, and became an Excellent Extended Essay. So I suggest you have a look at that (if you haven't already) to see what she (I think) did, and how the question she chose allowed her to write a great EE!

Maybe before you choose an idea you should consider all 3 and do some research on them, and narrow down your choices from there. Just stick to the topic that looks the most promising after having done a bit of research, especially since you still have plenty of time ahead of you!

Good luck!

• Like 1

Ideas are great. Any of those would be a good topic. You just have to make sure you fulfill the criteria.

A friend of mine that finished IB Math HL got a B on his math ee on the same topic as the second one you provided.

There is a math ee graded with an A in the 50 excellent essays that is on the third topic you provided.

• Like 1