Best class moments

missrunway

We were told to play around with the Chorus in Medea for English HL and we ended up doing a dramatic opera thing for the first half of the chosen passage and we rapped to the rest, complete with beat boxing and imaginary record scratching. We spent half of it rolling around laughing and the other half assuming hip hop stances.My teacher was particularily impressed by my moving to the beat.

The funnest time I've had all week. Jury's out for this one's place in the books.

Math teacher (pointing to a direction vector): "So, what's the name of this vector?"

Student (without hesitation): "John."

I'm not entirely sure why, but I exploded into irrepressible laughter.

Another good one was when our English class was studying T.S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men". As an in-class assignment, we had to break into small groups, and each group was assigned a few stanzas to analyse. However, our analysis had to be in the form of an interpretive dance. Which, to say the least, was an interesting experience. Watching people "go 'round the prickly pear" was nothing short of amusing. :)

• 3 months later...

when one of my guy friends was shanked in the middle of class during english junior year.

Also, our multiple poker tournements throughout this year. Several of us ib juniors would have poker tournements held at eachothers house, every now and then ib senior and sophomores would come too. Took the stress off of school on those nights.

Poker Tournament! that sounds great, gotta get my class to do that!

We were told to play around with the Chorus in Medea for English HL and we ended up doing a dramatic opera thing for the first half of the chosen passage and we rapped to the rest, complete with beat boxing and imaginary record scratching. We spent half of it rolling around laughing and the other half assuming hip hop stances.My teacher was particularily impressed by my moving to the beat.

The funnest time I've had all week. Jury's out for this one's place in the books.

We did something similar. One student said that these lines by the chorus could either be really softly and weakly read or very proclaiming. Our teacher then divided us into two groups, let us practise reading it, and since the chorus was walking, we had to walk in the corridor, chanting these lines. It echoed a lot :)

For one of my French interactive internal assessment orals, the general topic was to be an "expert" at something and teach everybody how to do something. I chose to do yoga, so I dressed up in athletic clothes and brought a mat and everything. Then I made everybody stand up, and I led them through a series of poses, often saying "inspirez" and "expirez" (inhale and exhale, in French). I could barely do the poses myself so it was kind of an epic fail, but apparently everybody remembers it now. :) That oral was amazingly a pretty fun thing to do for the usually stress-inducing IA component.

• 1 month later...

well, my class is pretty infamous for pissing off/scaring substitute teachers lol

Once, a sub tried to make us all write essays on a really corny topic ("sometimes collaboration creates great works" or something along those lines) so our class decided to pass around a piece of paper, and everyone wrote one line to make an (rather awful) collaborative essay lol

Another sub had to go to the washroom but she didn't wanna leave the room and was trying to figure out what to do and stressing about it. We told her she could trust us, since we're good kids (I mean, c'mon we're IB students right? :) )

While she was gone, everyone hid in the backroom and so the sub started freaking out when she got back XD

We convinced another sub to show us videos all day

We convinced another sub that IB was an alternative program for "slower" kids... we did absolutely nothing the entire class

Ya, my class has kind of made a few subs cry over the year -- I think the teachers started to warn subs beforehand about my class :D

We convinced a sub, that I, being German, did not know the meaning of the word triangle. She spend about half an hour trying to explain it to me. On a very basic level this is. She had to put up with stuff like "What, you mean, like with less sides that a sqare? I dont understand." The class had a right laugh at her.

Our ToK teacher and the school's IB coordinator is absolutely obsessed with Star Trek. So a lot of our ToK classes were spent reading and analyzing Star Trek, and most of his chosen articles referred to Star Trek. So one day we were talking about rationality versus emotion, etc. and reading an article about it.

Student: "The best known example of this is Star Trek's 'Mr. Spook'—" (he meant to say 'Mr. Spock', of course)

Mr. B: "What did you just say?"

Student: "... Mr. Spook?"

Mr. B: "Get out of my class. You just failed ToK. Congratulations."

Oh, how we torture our teacher... Now no one ever says Mr. Spock. We actually watched an episode of Star Trek for our last day of ToK and whenever Leonard Nemoy came on, we'd all shout "Hey, it's Mr. Spook!"

... I guess you had to be there. XD

Up until now.. for April Fools Day, our English teacher made us sit backwards in Business class and set up for Physics and then hide at the back of the building. Our business teacher just went to the back of the classroom and taught from there, which was pretty funny, and we led a wild goose chase in physics. :P

• 3 weeks later...

While watching the replies, I had a flashback to the funniest class moment I had this year!

It's Thursday morning, 1st hour and our physics teacher comes in and says that we are writing a quiz. But 1 of the questions hadn't been answered in class so NONE of us answered it.

When the teacher asked us what we thought of the quiz somebody dared to tell him that nobody knew the answer to one of his questions. So he got really angry :) and he also turned red because we was screaming so loud!

When he stopped yelling at us he through the tests on the floor hit the door and left :)

We had no idea what had happened until he came back in and told us that he was sorry and that we were free to go :P

• Like 1

Up until now.. for April Fools Day, our English teacher made us sit backwards in Business class and set up for Physics and then hide at the back of the building. Our business teacher just went to the back of the classroom and taught from there, which was pretty funny, and we led a wild goose chase in physics. :D

That reminds me of when my philosophy teacher told us about a philsopher called "Looflirpa", who thought the world was a tea pot and liked backwards writing. What was funniest was that the teacher got quite astonished, as his class didn't consider that strange. :D

One of the memories I have from my chem class year before last was that the classroom was right beside windows that looked out to the road. So every so often a person would walk by and we woudl all stop what we were doing and just stare them down as they woalked past. Even our teacher would join in.

As well for chem class we were talking about batteries and bleach and how it would be a BAD idea to put a car battery in a bucket of bleach. So one of the students was like "Why? What would happen if we did?" Then my teach goes to say, "I can see you 5 years form now with police officers at your door and you saying 'I'm sorry officer, I was just trying to clean my battery'" We had fun with that for a while.

For physics class like the week before classes ended and we started studying our butts off for May exams we spent about half an dhour making shadow puppets while our teacher looked something up. We even Googled 'How to make good shadow puppets' and tried them out. We did not learn about digital devices like we were supposed to that day, but we did learn how to make a shadow turtle. A very cool shadow turtle.

We spent one english lesson watching the 'breakfast club' and named everyone in our group 'the basket case', 'the princess', 'the rebel' et cetera. The basket case or 'Haney' is often seen walking about the school drinking from a long-life carton of rice milk. We then wrote a 'Canterbury Tales' for the IB crusade which we called the 'Cardif Tales' and where we were crusading to give thanks for our IB results, and then to have a ceremonial book burning. All the character portraits were based upon the stereotypes we gave each other, complete in iambic pentameter.

We spent an entire history lesson talking about dictators and their facial hair. Our history teacher was Fidel Castro.

We were doing drama excersises and two friends had to pretend to be gangsta's who were fighting. They actually ended up fighting and swearing at each other gangsta style until the teachers came and separated them.

We (all 6 IB girls) ran a trivia night for about 200 of our class mates. Every table dressed up according to an era (i.e. cave men, greeks, Geisha's et cetera). We decorated their tables according to the era. We decorated the table of the people who came from the Great Depression with a newspaper table cloth and a dead rat. We then proceeded to take bribes from everyone, to the point that we recieved a strip dance from the boys who dressed as the Village People (on stage... in front of teachers) in return for 5 points.

I don't know if this qualifies as "best", but...

In my school, we always have two weeks of school left after IB tests where we do basically nothing but watch DVDs. On the last day of school, while all my other classes were watching happy happy joy joy style animation movies like Walle, my TOK teacher made us watch "Munich", a horribly depressing movie about an Israeli hit squad avenging the Olympic athletes killed in Munich 1972 Olympics.

Also, we had a banquet for IB class of '09. A group of students performed a skit of all the IB subject stereotypes that was hilarious, but my favorite part was when a student and the same TOK teacher did a Chinese opera sing-off. Easily the hardest I ever laughed.

• 2 weeks later...

Best class moment so far (only just started IB so I hope they'll be many more to come!)...

In English we were discussing feminism... and our teacher got us to draw a feminist each, and she did one too. She showed us her picture, which was of a hippy lady with hairy armpits burning her bra. In response, one guy in our class (who doesn't really talk to girls) put up his hand and asked "Miss, I thought bras were supposed to help women? Why would they burn them if bras help them?". The class erupted in laughter, as our teacher went into excessive detail about the development and purpose of bras... I think she said something along the lines of "When boobs are free, it represents freedom".... I think it might have been a be-there moment!

Or possibly when one student convinced another that one of our teachers was a stripper before becoming a teacher... and that student asked the teacher in question... hahahaah

My favourite class moment was last year when we traumatized our English teacher. He is from Ireland and is very patriotic so he doesn't like it when people make jokes about ireland.

He was in the middle of a long explanation (he usually talks a lot) but none of us really had the energy to pay attention (it was the end of the day).

English Teacher: So, for that reason, the man is driven to become-

Student puts hand up: Do you believe in leprechauns?

He looked at us for a second, tossed his papers in the air. "I can't do this!" he yelled, strode out of the class and slammed the door behind him.

We were all freaked out for a second, and then broke out into laughter. We were hard on our teacher, but he was such a drama king.

You really had to be there, though! :P

• 2 weeks later...

We had this 'G4' project even though were still in grade 10. We had to go to this secluded island where we were gonna have experiments and "scientific" competitions. An hour after we arrive, female teachers are tanning, science teachers are playing cards. We're playing volleyball and soccer. Admin was having a bbq. This was probably the best trip I've had until I went to Russia for MUN.

Problems we had during the trip-

Day 1: One of our female history teachers had Male written under Sex on her visa. That took 30 mins.

Another girl had an older picture on her visa, took 30 mins. to interrogate on her for using a falsifying picture.

My Saudi friend had his bag and MUN file searched just because he was Saudi. Then they confiscated his papers for 'political reasons'

Day 2: One of my friends fell in the Baltic Sea after the ice cracked under him

I have/sort of had (I'm his teacher's aide this year) Mr. Knox for the past 2, now 3 years. He's just such a great character. First year (I think.. if not, then last year), he breakdanced in another world history period (EDIT:

:D ) . But I'm pretty sure it's on youtube lol. Anyways, last year, I was in his last period of the day, Human Geo AP. Needless to say, there were many strange, bizarre characters when it comes to 6th period lol. This one really annoying kid, Sam, would just annoy the crap out of all of us, and during the last week of school in June, Mr. Knox finally came out and said, "Oh just shut the hell up, Sam! Nobody wants to hear you talk anymore!" Man, it was awesome. We applauded.

Not sure if this is a best class moment, but today, a group of my friends wanted to persuade the bio teacher into moving the test date from tomorrow to next Tuesday (Monday's a holiday). She said she couldn't, but instead "hinted" that if we "weren't here physically," then we wouldn't be able to take the test. Basically, telling us to skip school, haha.

Can't wait for IB stories this year :3

Edited by 20 years of snow

• 1 month later...

During a history lesson the discussion got rather out of hand (actually, it always does) and we found ourselves taking about Armageddon and the end of the world by 2012 according to the Maya calendar. I said that "well by then, at least we'll have our diplomas!" and our very sarcastic teacher answers "Yes, they'll surely do you a lot of good then Armageddon comes."

On which I replied "Oh yes indeed! When the dominions of hell comes we'll just show them the diplomas and they'll know we've already been to hell!"

For some reason the others thought it was funny... I was being serious.

FYI: That inspired me to add a line to our 'You know you're IB when..'-list, the line being: You look forward to Armageddon because it would be an improvement to your current situation.

• 4 months later...