spending time at an old age home or teach kids at an orphanage. work with an NGO maybe? service in some monastery or something like that

How come you guys have hours? My school has certain number of activities, like at least 3 per letter... Isn't IB supposed to be the same everywhere?

Edited by 1stblondealternative

spending time at an old age home or teach kids at an orphanage. work with an NGO maybe? service in some monastery or something like that

How come you guys have hours? My school has certain number of activities, like at least 3 per letter... Isn't IB supposed to be the same everywhere?

Different CAS coordinators allow students to follow different methods. What is deemed CAS and what not is usually up to them to decide.

• Like 1

3 per letter? how does that work? i also thought it's the same for everyone, but the same as mine :P we've got this form where the supervisor writes an approximate number of hours for a particular activity.. dunno if it's the same for you guys :/

3 per letter? how does that work? i also thought it's the same for everyone, but the same as mine :P we've got this form where the supervisor writes an approximate number of hours for a particular activity.. dunno if it's the same for you guys :/

Yes we do too. We have reflection forms you write dates and hours spent doing the activity, and at least 3 for creativity, at least 3 for action and at least 3 for service, but hours are not that important. :)

Yes we do too. We have reflection forms you write dates and hours spent doing the activity, and at least 3 for creativity, at least 3 for action and at least 3 for service, but hours are not that important. :)

oh, nice.. we have to post our reflections on blogs.. and you know what, my CAS coordinator told me that i can get service hours by writing and helping out prepare a play for the Middle years programme guys.. the play is on the eradication of poverty,, so that and other stuff, which i will help out in, can get me some hours

oh, nice.. we have to post our reflections on blogs.. and you know what, my CAS coordinator told me that i can get service hours by writing and helping out prepare a play for the Middle years programme guys.. the play is on the eradication of poverty,, so that and other stuff, which i will help out in, can get me some hours

That is awesome! You also can give lectures of your first language to some foreingers if you have any in your class or your environment. That will give you a lot of hours, plus can be your three month project, which is also recquired to have. I did the same thing, my friend from Malasiya taught me Malay. She got service and three month, I got creativity and three month project.

That is awesome! You also can give lectures of your first language to some foreingers if you have any in your class or your environment. That will give you a lot of hours, plus can be your three month project, which is also recquired to have. I did the same thing, my friend from Malasiya taught me Malay. She got service and three month, I got creativity and three month project.

that's a good idea. i had planned to teach my B&M teacher french :P even though french isn't my first language.. but that didn't work out because of our schedules..but what if i teach a language that the supervisor doesn't know? would that still count?

that's a good idea. i had planned to teach my B&M teacher french :P even though french isn't my first language.. but that didn't work out because of our schedules..but what if i teach a language that the supervisor doesn't know? would that still count?

As far as I know it does.But, I'd recommend teaching your fellow IBer, so you can benefit from each other, you get CAS he/she gets CAS. :))))

As far as I know it does.But, I'd recommend teaching your fellow IBer, so you can benefit from each other, you get CAS he/she gets CAS. :))))

yeah that's what i thought.. and it's convenient doing it with a friend.. but my main worry was how will their progress be monitored.. let's say i teach my friend swahili but nobody in my school speaks it, how will i get hours that way?

yeah that's what i thought.. and it's convenient doing it with a friend.. but my main worry was how will their progress be monitored.. let's say i teach my friend swahili but nobody in my school speaks it, how will i get hours that way?

For my CAS coordinator it's enough that they do a test and you grade them and they have to be able to write few basic sentences and read them and know the meaning and some pictures of you actually working on something... that's it, it's not really like you can learn much in three months

For my CAS coordinator it's enough that they do a test and you grade them and they have to be able to write few basic sentences and read them and know the meaning and some pictures of you actually working on something... that's it, it's not really like you can learn much in three months

awesome! i'll start something like that.. but i won't have 3 months for it :/ when do you guys get done with CAS?

Hello people!

This is my first year in IB (3 months i guess). I need some ideas for my service hours. Can you people share some of your activities for service here?

So far my i have completed around 20 hours of service.

Retirement home, hospital, tutoring (at school especially) and judging for debate practices. There's a ton you can do!