Biological Level of Analyses SAQ

eoeoeo3

I have problem with writing SAQs and last time I wrote it it has been literally a disaster. Could somebody give me some instructions how to write it (I already read this SAQ and LAQ subject, but still have no idea)? The subject is most likely something like outline principles that define BLOA or outline one and explain how that principle was demonstrated in research (if it matters). I would be more than grateful, thanks.

It would be helpful for you to write here what you actually wrote, it would be easier for us to give feedback to you that way.

What I told my students was to clearly state a principle, clearly outline a research method and how it relates to the principle, then use a study showing how it demonstrates the research method and how that supports the principle of the level of analysis. This way it makes it very easy to follow for the reader and it all links back and shows a thorough understanding of the methods and why they are used in that level of analysis.

• Like 1

Ok, thank you! It actually helped me a lot, because I had huge problem with SAQ's structure. Last time I wrote the principle and research but I just described this research, not in the way that explains how is it connected to principle so I know what was wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem too..:/ its hard to know if the essay is good enough or not. Is there anyone who would like to read some Short Essay Questions I wrote and give some feedback? :)

Post a sample answer in here and we'll give you feedback :)

1. Explain how one principle from the biological level of analysis may be demonstrated, using one piece of research:

One principle of biological level of analysis states that cognitions, emotions and behaviours are products of the anatomy and physiology of our nervous and endocrine system, meaning that all observable behaviour, as well as internal mental activity of an individual can be traced back to physiological events. Therefore one may found a link for example between a specific hormone and a specific behaviour.

A study which may demonstrate that anatomy and physiology of our nervous system is linked to a specific behaviour may be the study of Martinez and Kesner. Martinez and Kesner studied the role of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine on memory formation of mazes in rats.

The aim of the research was to determine whether acetylcholine plays a role in memory formation. It was tested in an experimental method.

Rats were used in order to carry out the experiment. The independent variable (the manipulated variable) in this case was the level of acetylcholine.

The dependent variable was the speed of the rats. Rats were trained to go through a maze and get to the end, where they received food, which was a positive motivation.

They divided the rats into three different groups. One group was injected with scopolamine which blocks acetylcholine receptor sites, thus decreasing available acetylcholine.

Another group of rats was injected with physostigmine, which blocks production of cholinesterase, which removes acetylcholine from synapse and return neuron to resting state.

The third group did not get any injections at all. This corresponded to the controlled group.

The results showed that rats with injected scopolamine were slower at finding way around maze and made more errors than compared to other two groups, whereas the group with injected physostigmine were the fastest and made less error, as their level of acetylcholine increased with a great value. The controlled group stayed at the same level.

Thus this study demonstrates the principle that a link may be found between a specific hormone and a specific behaviour.

Edited by Klauu

Looks very good. I would only say that mentioning that there are biological correlates of behavior explicitly would be an improvement since that is the principle and what the research is demonstrating it really brings it all together.

Your description is pretty concise and clear, well done :).

The control group received no injections.

The 2nd group had higher acetylcholine which you should mention more clearly.

You should also mention a brief interpretation at the end that this study demonstrates that acetylcholine is important for memory and then link it back to how it is a biological correlate (the hormone) of the behavior (memory).

• Like 1

Looks very good. I would only say that mentioning that there are biological correlates of behavior explicitly would be an improvement since that is the principle and what the research is demonstrating it really brings it all together.

Your description is pretty concise and clear, well done :).

The control group received no injections.

The 2nd group had higher acetylcholine which you should mention more clearly.

You should also mention a brief interpretation at the end that this study demonstrates that acetylcholine is important for memory and then link it back to how it is a biological correlate (the hormone) of the behavior (memory).

Thanks for the tips :)

I find it a little bit challanging to end the question in a good way, so it actually links back to the question, but I will try to work on it.

Thanks again though :)