Extended Essay: English A1 topic

lany12345

Unfortunately I haven't read or studied The Heart of Darkness so I can't say exactly whether or not your topic is suitable or not. However, have you asked your English teacher? Or, perhaps someone at your school that has supervised an English EE before? They're the best possible people to ask, so I would recommend having a chat to someone at your school.

As for suggestions of other topics, can you please give some more context? Are you interested in poetry or prose? What novels in particular? What genres? Are you particularly interested in, say, doing a feminist reading? Or focusing on one particular symbol? It is very difficult for us to help you when we have zero background information. I am more than happy to help, as long as you let us know what we can help you with.

With your EE, unfortunately we can't be the ones to come up with your question- but we are happy to provide you with advice if your topic is too broad/narrow, or if you aren't going down the right track.

Good luck :)

I did my EE in English A1 in the end, after switching from French. I did mine around the American dream in 'The Great Gatsby' but I started off thinking that I wanted to examine the role of women in a novel and ended up picking the theme of the American dream in 'TGG' because there was a lot to say about it. Having an idea of the area I wanted to go into was really helpful as I then discussed it with my supervisor and she pointed me towards many books. I do think that the way forward for you is to talk to your supervisor as all I know about 'Heart of Darkness' is that it's written by Jasper Conrad and all I know about you is that you want to write your EE about that book! But good luck all the same :)

• Like 1

Mine main advice is :

1) Identify the theme of the book, lets us say in the book THE SORROW OF WAR, the theme is destruction caused by the war.

2) Destruction of the war is too broad topic make it narrow: How does the loss of civilians is greater than the soldiers?

3) Then just as the above post said, discuss this topic with supervisor, they are not going to directly tell you the topic. They will just refine it and give you some guidance.

4) Once you get a topic re read the book not just like story but like a piece of work. You will likely to get more points.

Hope it helps you.