Is there any way one can fail an ib certificate?

Username

From what I understand, an IB certificate is different from a diploma.

A certificate (at least in my school) is awarded to those who pursue an IB class, but they themselves are not actually in IB (like if someone did an IB elective like IB Art but theyre not in the IB program.) If youre reffering to this, then no you don't have to even do CAS, TOK, etc since youre just doing one single IB class. If you were to get a 1 in this subject, then it just means you dont get your certificate becasue you didnt pass.

Now, if you meant to say the IB Diploma (youre doing all IB classes and such) then yes, CAS, TOK, etc are required. Getting a 1 on a subject could jeopardize your diploma though. If you get a 1 in an HL class, you lose your diploma. Im not entirely sure here, but for an SL class you probably could get a 1, but you'd have to score really high on another IB test to even it out and get the required amount of credits to recieve a diploma (I think the total is 24?).

Thats all the info I can give...If I'm wrong about anything I said, someone please correct me!

Hope that helps.

From what I understand, an IB certificate is different from a diploma.

A certificate (at least in my school) is awarded to those who pursue an IB class, but they themselves are not actually in IB (like if someone did an IB elective like IB Art but theyre not in the IB program.) If youre reffering to this, then no you don't have to even do CAS, TOK, etc since youre just doing one single IB class. If you were to get a 1 in this subject, then it just means you dont get your certificate becasue you didnt pass.

Now, if you meant to say the IB Diploma (youre doing all IB classes and such) then yes, CAS, TOK, etc are required. Getting a 1 on a subject could jeopardize your diploma though. If you get a 1 in an HL class, you lose your diploma. Im not entirely sure here, but for an SL class you probably could get a 1, but you'd have to score really high on another IB test to even it out and get the required amount of credits to recieve a diploma (I think the total is 24?).

Thats all the info I can give...If I'm wrong about anything I said, someone please correct me!

Hope that helps.

Certificates are given to candidates who aren't registered as full IB diploma candidates. If you're not a diploma candidate, you do not have to do CAS, TOK, or write an EE. I believe you get a certificate regardless of score because a certificate just states the subject and your score on that particular exam.

Clearing up a few issues with the above post, if you're a diploma candidate you cannot get a 1 in any subject. Depending on how many points you get, your requirements are a little different. If you have between 24 and 27 points, you can't get a 2 in a HL subject, but if you have at least 28 you can have one 2 at a HL subject. All the requirements are here: http://www.ibo.org/documentlibrary/regs_ibworldschools/documents/DP_regs_en.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that in the diploma, if you do not finish CAS or the reflections they will withold your diploma for 6 months until you finish all the right reflections (at least that is what I was told in my school). And I doubt that you will get a 1 in any subject unless you refuse to do any homework, IAs, and the exam!