Math IA Idea

V For Vendetta.

So I need an idea for my math IA. Right now, I can't think of anything to do for this IA. The previous years were so easy where you were given a topic :/

Anyways, I was thinking of doing something with derivatives. Any idea guys?

Thanks aha! :)

Edit: I'm currently in SL math (Grade 11) (IB Year 1)

Edited by Alishah Imtiaz

Since numerical methods do have a really useful application of evaluating functions using a computer, you can go into detail and discuss how they are useful and for what they may be used. It depends on the method you go with, but you can also consider speed v accuracy (+rate of convergence), limitations, behavior with different functions, etc.

If you want to stick with derivatives, applications would probably be the best thing to focus on. That could include looking at how it can be used, such as in physics, as there are quite a few things like optimization, along with simple differential equations which you could look into. It's a broad topic so you will have to look around to find something interesting first, but it's not a bad option either. Generally speaking however it may be difficult to put the focus on differentiation itself, since that tends to be relatively simple (unless you look at first principles, which goes beyond the SL syllabus).

^You're completely right.

Applications is what you should focus on. Also, the topic you've chosen does seem relatively simple. The only thing I could suggest is looking into for example finding roots of nonlinear equations, Pascal's triangle and etc.

Derivatives is too simple hmm? :/

Any other ideas that don't relate to derivatives? :|