Sign in to follow this  

Lab Report Internal Assessment - Research Question

Hi !

Okay so I'm currently doing my Biology lab report and I have a research question and everything, but when I showed it to my teacher she said that I need a very long detailed RQ. But I know that RQs should be detailed but not long. my dependent variable and independent variable are stated clearly, so I don't see the purpose of having a paragraph long research question..

Do you guys know how long and detailed a RQ should be?

I think the "method" of writing RQs depends on the preference of the teacher.

For instance, my Chem teacher recommended the following for RQs:

- It must state all dependent, independent (and manipulations that you're doing), and as many control variables as possible.

- The RQ must outline a unique experiment (must have sufficient detail to distinguish it from others.

But my Bio and Physics teachers say:

- It must be fairly concise and state the dependent and independent variables.

I agree with the above, you ALWAYS need to state independent and dependent variables in your research question. That is a must. You should be as specific as possible with them and be careful with what you are measuring, because, for instance, collecting the volume of gas caused by a reaction is not the same as measuring the rate of gas release.