Sign in to follow this  

***HELP*** Biology EE investigating effects of heat shocking temperatures on the transformation efficiency

Hey everyone, I am writing up my biology extended essay based on investigating the effects of changing heat shocking temperatures on the transformation efficiency of E. coli. I have already started writing up my EE (background information, variables, hypotheses, etc.), gotten to a decent number of words, but I haven't come around to actually start doing the experiment and collect data... To put it simply, I am kinda lost as to how many trials I need to have, and also the amount of cells (ul) I would need in total (my supervisor said a transformation uses around 25-50ul cells). My temperatures are going to be 18, 27, 36, 42, 50 degrees Celsius. Please help me out!! I hope to be able to start collecting data this week! Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Well, to make your data more reliable and precise you always need to repeat your experiment at least 3 times and obtain averages. It would almost be a crime to forget to do something like this for your EE! Maybe, because it is really important, you will want to repeat it 5 times. But that's up to you, I would have a standard of 3 times. Remember the experiment is really important in Bio extended essays!

• Like 1