Bio. HL or Chem. HL - Which is more beneficial to take?

spacescampi

Hi!

I've been thinking lately about either having Biology in HL or Chemistry in HL. I am not quite sure what I want to study after the IB, but I was thinking about something with pharmacy/medicine, business or law (And I do know that neither the two last mentioned require Chemistry or Biology.. Or do they??). I would say that I am kind of good at memorizing, and my mathematical skills are average (I'm taking Maths SL).

So the big question: Which is more beneficial for applying for universities?

If you are planning to go into pharmacy/medicine, you will definitely need Chemistry HL. If you are very good at memorizing, Biology HL will be easier for you than Chem HL, but from what I've read and heard, Chem HL is taken more into account than Bio HL. Although both of them are important if you want to go into medicine. And you are right, I dont think you need either for business or law.

It really depends on where you want to study, but for pharmacy and medicine, I've seen a lot of universities (especially ones in the UK and somewhat in the EU) that post requirements require HL chemistry. HL biology is usually recommended and sometimes required, but is not a requirement as much as HL chemistry is. If you're just trying to take the easy way out and just take HL biology when you could have taken HL chemistry in addition, then you're going to have a hard time applying to universities later on and even then, pharmacy/medical school is tough to begin with.

For law and business it doesn't matter, take what you'd like. Their requirements are much more flexible.

• Like 1