TOK Essay Title 6

AlphonseElric

Hello!

For the TOK essay, I am interested in topic 6 [“A skeptic is one who is willing to question any knowledge claim, asking for clarity in definition, consistency in logic and adequacy of evidence” (adapted from Paul Kurts, 1994). Evaluate this approach in two areas of knowledge.“A skeptic is one who is willing to question any knowledge claim, asking for clarity in definition, consistency in logic and adequacy of evidence” (adapted from Paul Kurts, 1994). Evaluate this approach in two areas of knowledge.] However, I am not positive if I fully understand the question. Could someone please clarify the topic for me please?

Is this topic similar to Christopher Hitchen's quote "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"?

The way I read this prompt is sort of like, if a person makes a claim, the skeptics job is to look at all the evidence are arguments for/against it, and to ensure that for whichever side, the arguments being made don't clash with each other (unless they're meant to).

Just my personal interpretation though. I dont really know.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol I chose that question too and they way I understood it was if you were to take on a skeptical approach in any of your chosen AOKs would it help in providing more knowledge or inhibit which is where you bring in counterclaims and stuff. So things like maths and arts will be much trickier to use as you they kind of go against the definition you have been given for a skeptic.

Hope this helped

Edited by batta