Psychology EE RQ and Argument help!

Millyailene

Hello all!

My EE first draft is due in a couple of weeks and I went back to look at my RQ and make sure it was good to go...I'm worried that my topic doesn't bring enough "new research" to my essay. I was wondering which of these two questions would be best?

My general topic is sports psychology, focusing on arousal levels and their influence on athletic performance.

1. To what extent does psychological arousal negatively impact athletic performance?

2. What impact does psychological arousal have on athletic performance, and can we use this knowledge to optimize performance in individual sports?

Or if there are any others that someone could suggest, it WOULD REALLY REALLY REALLY HELP!

Thank you!

Edited by Millyailene

Both are fine. What do you mean by 'new research?'

People tend to like the extent to which phrasing though, not that it should matter but if you are looking for some sort of edge that may be it.

I mean a new topic, that you couldn't just find the answer to by looking in a textbook really quickly or something of that nature. Or that wouldn't just be recounting research with new analysis.

That being said, could you help me with how I might organize my essay for the first topic? My mentor told me to pick a side--high levels or low levels of arousal as being detrimental to athletic performance, and I picked high. Would my intro then be defining arousal and talking about the different types (e.g. stress and anxiety), then the next section be discussing arousal theories, then arousal's causes, then the effects of arousal, ending with its impact on athletes? Or would the impact need to go earlier and be interwoven throughout the following sections?

You are not expected to discover something groundbreakingly new in an EE, I think your topic is good and you can answer it both ways.

Both methods you mention can work to tackle the topic, it depends how effectively you do either. If you can manage to make sure the reader doesn't get lost if you interweave the impact throughout then you can do that (you could also do this and provide a concise summary of the impact near the end). I do think you want to make the majority of the essay focused on analysis/evaluation of the impact and not too much description of arousal theory and causes. Keep description to a minimum.

• Like 1

You are not expected to discover something groundbreakingly new in an EE, I think your topic is good and you can answer it both ways.

Both methods you mention can work to tackle the topic, it depends how effectively you do either. If you can manage to make sure the reader doesn't get lost if you interweave the impact throughout then you can do that (you could also do this and provide a concise summary of the impact near the end). I do think you want to make the majority of the essay focused on analysis/evaluation of the impact and not too much description of arousal theory and causes. Keep description to a minimum.

Alright. Thank you so much for all of your help, I really appreciate it! :)