Difficult vs easy discussion

Isabelle07

So, while reading unis' websites I spotted sth like question of "challenging subjects". I'm curious about that. Word "challenge" is sth very relative. For one person doing a SL B language would be a challenge, but for someone else it would be chemistry HL or Math HL.

What IB courses are challenging/difficult for you? Which of them do you find easy? And why?

For me Economics, Math and Physics couldn't be easier, but I don't like Econ essay work load (the topics are stupid in until this moment). The hardest courses that I took are German B SL and English B HL (it is really hard because of my teacher, not as a course. the teacher tries to make linguists of us).

Enjoy the discussion :)

From the subjects I took, from hardest to easiest...

1= Maths Methods SL

1= Chemistry HL

2. Biology HL

3= Spanish B

3= Philosophy SL

4. English Literature HL

There's a MASSIVE gap between the hardest ones and the rest of them! None of them were that difficult once you get past Chem HL.

HL Physics, I find myself having to go over a lot of topics afterwards before I fully understand them. It's partly due to my teacher and how he explains things, but I feel it requires the most work.

While I wouldn't consider it difficult personally, I tend to score lower in german B SL compared to my other subjects. It really isn't 'hard' with the exception of paper 1 though, sitting down and writing out a essay about a topic isn't too difficult for me, even though it may be littered with grammatical errors.

Everything else isn't too difficult, it's more that they require time to practice and such. I'm hesitant to call any of them easy, though chemistry SL comes close.

Easiest to Hardest:

French SL

Economics HL

Math SL

Physics SL

Chemistry HL

English HL

French was hands-down easiest subject ever. We did nothing in classes, had parties in April and some got screwed on the exams. But generally, people did well on their Language B subjects. English isn't really too hard, but it is very difficult to get a 7 on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ugh, for me the hardest (the one which I hate the classes most and am least sure of how I'm doing in) is Finnish B SL. Yeah taking a language you are fluent as a B language and in SL seems pretty easy but my problem is no one ever taught me how to write properly in Finnish (lived most of my life abroad and the time I have been here I haven't had ANYONE actually teach me grammar bc its "presumed knowledge" yeah right). Although the rest of the subjects do need a lot of effort, they are nonetheless easier because I am motivated :)

Easiest to hardest:
Math Studies SL
English A L&L HL
Psychology HL
Biology HL
Chemistry SL
Finnish B SL

Hardest to easiest:

Chemistry SL

Maths SL

Biology HL

History HL

English HL

I'm really not a sciencey/analytical person, so there's a huge gap between my hard and easy subjects. It just depends on your personally strengths I guess.

What I don't like is how universities place more academic value on subjects that are more analytical rather than subjects that require a different form of lateral thinking, or subjects that are more arts-based. I actually did my TOK essay on this topic and it was quite a lot of fun to do, being an artsy person myself!

Chemistry SL and Math ST (yes, it's kind of humiliating but even studies is quite hard for me :( ) are the most difficult subjects

Psychology HL even though challenging is simply nice and pleasant.

English B HL- easy one, very pleasant thing.

History is quite easy but I enjoy it even if it needs some effort to put in.