2014 UCAS Application thread

Erudite

Hey guys!

I thought I'd start this since peeps will have started finalising their apps and unis for the UK. I thought maybe everyone can write about their choice of subject and which unis they're applying to and maybe their predicted score (only if you want to)?

I figure we can all like support each other through the LOOOOOOONG wait that is coming up for us.

I'll start:

Will send/Sent Application on:

30th September 2013

Course:

Law (M100)

Unis (in order of preference):

University of Oxford (Merton College)

London School of Economics

Durham University (St. Chad's college)

King's College London

University of Warwick

Current status (20th January):

Oxford - Conditional Offer

LSE - Conditional Offer (successfully complete the IB Diploma)

Durham - Rejected :(

King's College London - Conditional Offer (achieve 35 points in the IB with at least a 766 in HL subjects)

Warwick - Conditional Offer (achieve 36 points in the IB with at least a 5 in English HL)

Predicted scores:

43/45 (with a 7777 at HL)

+ 14/14 for extra certificates in Theatre and Dance HL.

+ 5 in AP Calculus (achieved in IB1)

Additional Tests:

LNAT (National Admissions Test for Law) for Oxford, King's and Durham - completed. Scores not released yet.

I've always wanted to study law and my dream is to become a lawyer someday. So this seemed like a natural choice.

What about you guys?

Edited by Erudite
  • Like 3

Before January 15th 2014.

Course:

Psychology (both BSc and MA [bSc courses don't accept or reject math studies so I'm just playing it safe!]

University of St.Andrews (BSc and MA)

University of Glasgow (BSc and MA)

Safety school (haven't decided yet)

Predicted scores (in my case average course scores- no official predicted grades yet):

39/42

+ X points from EE and ToK

I'm a bit confused about you using received acknowledgement after some universities... Can you explain what that is? I haven't ever heard of such a thing :o

Edited by Erasmusrasmus
  • Like 2

I'm a bit confused about you using received acknowledgement after some universities... Can you explain what that is? I haven't ever heard of such a thing :o

Oh! That's nothing. I've just received the automated emails that unis send out as courtesy letting you know that they've received your application and are actively considering it.

• Like 1

Oh! That's nothing. I've just received the automated emails that unis send out as courtesy letting you know that they've received your application and are actively considering it.

Oh okay thats good! ^^ Congrats on the awesome predicted score! And the extra subjects are making the rest of us look like slackers :D

• Like 2

Before January 15th 2014.

Course:

International Relations

London School of Economics and Political Science

University of Durham

King's College of London

University of Edinburgh

University of Bath

Predicted scores:

38-40/45 (with a 667 at HL)

Do you guys know if there's any proper advantage in sending off applications early? I've heard of some people applying in October but having to wait until March to get an answer!

Durham University - nothing yet

Which college in Durham are you applying to? (:

Edited by Gaby
  • Like 2

Planning on sending it by the end of this week. Edit: Sent!

Unis + Course:
University of Cambridge (Churchill College) - Computer Science (with Mathematics Option)
Imperial College London - Mathematics and Computer Science (Pure Maths and Computational Logic)
University of Warwick - Discrete Mathematics
University of Bristol - Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Southampton - Mathematics and Computer Science

Predicted scores:
41/42 points, (777 HL, 776 SL, no predictions for EE/TOK)

Outcomes, responses, etc
University of Cambridge - Offer!! (39 points, 777HL, 1+2 in STEP II+III)
Imperial College London - Offer! (40 points, 777HL, 5 in English and a 2 in STEP III)
University of Warwick - Offer! (38 points, 666HL and 4 in English)
University of Bristol - Offer (38 points, 666HL)
University of Southampton - Offer (36 points, 18 at HL, 6 in Maths and 5 in English)

Additional Tests:
STEP I, II and III in June 2014

I'm just waiting for some feedback for my PS by various teachers and I should be good to send off my application. Starting to get excited about this already, good luck to everyone else who's applying! :)

Do you guys know if there's any proper advantage in sending off applications early? I've heard of some people applying in October but having to wait until March to get an answer!

I don't think so. Some universities may not immediately respond as they may wish to compare you with later applicants too, which may explain the delayed responses. Main reason is largely because some courses and universities (Oxbridge, medicine and a few other courses) have an earlier deadline of October 15, which is also why I'm applying so early.

Edited by ctrls
  • Like 3

Which college in Durham are you applying to? (:

According to my College advisor in school, sending your app off early, like by the October deadline, means you're in the running to get an early acceptance to a university. Most universities give out some acceptances (and rejections) in late December/early January if you've applied around this time. However, most of the time, no matter how early you apply, you won't hear until well after the Jan 31st deadline (unless it's Oxbridge/Medicine/Dentistry, of course).

I picked St. Chad's college. Which one did you pick?

There isn't. It just means you'll probably get offers/rejections earlier since they have your application earlier. It can still take months for them to come back to you. However, if you've started your application, just try to get it done. It means you can focus on other things. Labouring over your PS for months is unnecessary. I doubt you'll ever really be satisfied with it, so just try doing your best on it and send it off.

The deadline is Jan 15th.

• Like 1

I just got an offer to study Law at the LSE!!!!!!! I'm freaking out! :dance:

This is the best day ever!

Congratulations! :D

Hey Congrats! First a perfect score in SAT and now offer from LSE. You are really lucky :)

Thank you guys! :D

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, just saw this thread.

Since I'm taking a gap year, I'm applying this year with a score of 44 points (6 7 7 7 at HL).

Date of application: 14th October 2013

Applied to:

1. University of Oxford - The Queen's College - PPE
  2. London School of Economics - Philosophy & Economics
  3. Durham University - Grey College - PPE
  4. Warwick University - PPE
  5. University of Manchester - PPE

Status

1. University of Oxford - Just finished TSA today, waiting to hear whether I'm invited for interview. Should hear by end of november.
  2. LSE - They will reply within this week.
  3. Durham University - Unconditional offer
  4. Warwick University - Unconditional offer
  5. University of Manchester - Unconditional offer

I'm going to the UK in early dec to check out all the universities I've applied to, to see which one would be the best suited for me.

Between Warwick and Durham, which one would you guys suggest I go to, for PPE?

• Like 2

Since I'm taking a gap year, I'm applying this year with a score of 44 points (6 7 7 7 at HL).

Applied to:

Status

1. University of Oxford - Just finished TSA today, waiting to hear whether I'm invited for interview. Should hear by end of november.

I'm going to the UK in early dec to check out all the universities I've applied to, to see which one would be the best suited for me.

Warwick has a great reputation for Economics, but if it is for a PPE, I'd go for Durham in that toss up, personally.

Applied to:

Status

Congratulations on your amazing offers!!

When did you hear from Durham if you don't mind me asking?

Well here is my status.

Course: Economics

Offers received:

1) University of Nottingham: (Conditional Offer, 36 with 5 in English)

2) University of Sussex. (Conditional Offer, 34 with 5 in Economics and Math)

Offer Rejected:

1) University of Exeter. ( Felt dejected initially, but cheered up because it is not the end of the life anyways)

Awaiting for Decisions:

1) University of Warwick. (Hope God rewards me the offer for being a good boy in school for last 16 years :D )

2) University of Aberdeen. (Not interested actually)

Best of luck to all who have got/waiting for their offers. :)

Edited by akash jishnu
  • Like 2

Applied to:

Status

Congratulations on your amazing offers!!

When did you hear from Durham if you don't mind me asking?

I heard from them on the 30th of October.

Just heard back from LSE that I've been accepted into the second round of their applications. Can anyone enlighten me on what does this mean? Am I now part of a rather short list or is it still like 60% of candidates who applied?

• Like 1

Just heard back from LSE that I've been accepted into the second round of their applications. Can anyone enlighten me on what does this mean? Am I now part of a rather short list or is it still like 60% of candidates who applied?

This is actually very unusual as most of the time LSE just gets back to you when you have an offer/rejection and nothing in-between.

I believe they're informing you now of every step of your application process, essentially jumping each stage means that a certain batch of applicants were sent out rejections as you progressed.

The only two people I know who've gotten offers so far have been exceptional students with exceptional profiles.

Usually, a large portion of applicants will hear from the LSE by the end of January, and then the final push of acceptances will go out in late February-March.

This is actually very unusual as most of the time LSE just gets back to you when you have an offer/rejection and nothing in-between.

I believe they're informing you now of every step of your application process, essentially jumping each stage means that a certain batch of applicants were sent out rejections as you progressed.

The only two people I know who've gotten offers so far have been exceptional students with exceptional profiles.

Usually, a large portion of applicants will hear from the LSE by the end of January, and then the final push of acceptances will go out in late February-March.

Ah right I see. Thanks!

It is a strange feeling when I check my email each day - both with excitement and trepidation :D

Congratulations! That is probably one of the most amazing courses you can do as a undergraduate - but who better to tell you than Arrowhead!

Edited by yii yann
  • Like 2