2014 UCAS Application thread

Erudite

Just got rejected from Durham. I'm really disheartened, I don't know what I did wrong. :urgh:

I'm really sorry. I doubt you did anything wrong, it probably just wasn't a place for you. Don't get disheartened, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you joining me next year in Oxford. :)

• Like 1

Just got rejected from Durham. I'm really disheartened, I don't know what I did wrong. :urgh:

I'm really sorry. I doubt you did anything wrong, it probably just wasn't a place for you. Don't get disheartened, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you joining me next year in Oxford. :)

Thanks, Gaby! :hug: And thanks Arrowhead for your kind message. :)

Screw Durham!

Edited by Erudite
  • Like 1

Sent Application on:

November 15th

Course:

International Relations, Russian, & Arabic

Unis (in order of preference):

St. Andrews

Exeter

Leeds

Edinburgh

King's College London

Predicted scores:
41 points (38 + 3) with 677 at HL

I just received a few email confirmations, super excited!! (Although I realize thats not exactly anything to get excited about).

Quick question: are the unis really going to make us wait until January 15th to receive our offers?? Especially St. Andrews, because that's what they implied in their email...

• Like 2

I just received a few email confirmations, super excited!! (Although I realize thats not exactly anything to get excited about).

Quick question: are the unis really going to make us wait until January 15th to receive our offers?? Especially St. Andrews, because that's what they implied in their email...

Nothing wrong with being happy about confirmation emails. :) It's an exciting and nerve-wracking process.

To answer your questions: it depends and varies between universities because they all have different policies. If you read this thread, you can see that some people have already started receiving offers, much before the Jan 15th deadline. Some unis are very particular and like to stick to the Jan 15th equal consideration deadline, but such are few and far in-between. Most unis start giving out a few offers well in advance. But to get offers before the Jan deadline, you're generally the kind of student who far exceeds the minimum requirements and is quite good on paper. Of course standards of 'excellence' are different for different unis. 41 points would get you an offer from a place like Sussex in a week or two, but it wouldn't necessarily stun a place like UCL. So it's all relative based on the competition and how compelling your application is such that the uni feels they would want to give you an earlier offer.

• Like 3

Sent Application on:

November 15th

Course:

International Relations, Russian, & Arabic

St. Andrews

Exeter

Leeds

Edinburgh

King's College London

Predicted scores:

41 points (38 + 3) with 677 at HL

Not likely according to my experience. I got reference mail saying the same thing that my applications will be considered on Jan, but within 2 weeks I got 2 offers.You might get offer from Leeds and Exeter much quicker than other universities I think. You will get early offers (which is a good sign), based on your Personal statement, your predicted and your extra activities.So you can expect an offer within 2 weeks or by the end of the month I think.

• Like 2

Sent application:

Today! woo that was nerve-racking.

Subject:

Film or media and communications

Grades/predicted:

45 predicted with:

HL Art - 7
HL English Lit - 7

HL History - 7

SL German ab - 7

SL Biology - 7

SL Maths Studies - 7

+ 3 bonus

Universities applied to:

Goldsmiths (media & comms)

Queen Mary (film)

Queen's Belfast (film)

Yep. Only three of them. If I don't get into Goldsmiths most likely I will be taking a gap year, getting some experience, and then reapplying :)

• Like 2

Course: English and French (deferred entry)

Universities:

St Catherines Oxford

Leeds

St Andrews

Reading

Exeter

Predicted overall: 39/45

Offers so far: Leeds (35 points) and Reading (32 points)

When did you send out your UCAS application? Because I just sent mine out, and I'm wondering how long it'll take before I get the offers, as you've already received one from Leeds... :)

Course: English and French (deferred entry)

Universities:

St Catherines Oxford

Leeds

St Andrews

Reading

Exeter

Predicted overall: 39/45

Offers so far: Leeds (35 points) and Reading (32 points)

When did you send out your UCAS application? Because I just sent mine out, and I'm wondering how long it'll take before I get the offers, as you've already received one from Leeds... :)

Sent it out beginning of October. Reading responded pretty quickly and Leeds responded about two weeks ago

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will send/Sent Application on:

12th November 2013...? Give or take two weeks!

Course:

Graphic Design for all except Design at Goldsmiths

Goldsmiths University of London

University of Edinburgh

University of Brighton / London College of Communication, UAL

Falmouth University

Current status:

Goldsmiths University of London: Accepted! Offer of 35.... interviewer originally suggested 40, so I'm just glad it's lower.

University of Edinburgh: Rejected! Likely due to lack of Foundation year + portfolio not so specialized in graphics.

University of Brighton: N/A, sent off portfolio

Falmouth University: Accepted! Offer of 28 points.

London College of Communication, UAL: Rejected from a BA offer, but offered a FdA at Camberwell (more explanation two posts down)

Predicted scores:

40/45 (776 at HL), with default 2 points for everyone in my school for TOK/EE

To be honest, I'm still not sure which should be my top universities or safeties- any ideas?

Gunning for graphics / design :)

Edited by crimson.threads
  • Like 1

Goldsmiths University of London: Accepted! Offer of 35.... interviewer originally suggested 40, so I'm just glad it's lower.

Congratulations on the Goldsmiths offer! I know so many people who would kill to be in your position at the moment. Honestly, if you get Edinburgh, your firm choice should be between Goldsmiths and Edinburgh in my opinion. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

• Like 1

Congratulations on the Goldsmiths offer! I know so many people who would kill to be in your position at the moment. Honestly, if you get Edinburgh, your firm choice should be between Goldsmiths and Edinburgh in my opinion. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks! Loads of people in HK seem to have no idea what or where Goldsmiths is (most people go for UAL/UCA around here), so I was getting a little disconcerted about putting it on my UCAS. I was thinking Goldsmiths first and Edinburgh as second if I do get in.

• Like 1

Sent Application on:
December 18th 2013

Course:

Mechanical Engineering (BEng or MEng depending on the university)

Universities and their Status (in order of preference):

University of Southampton (MEng) - Offer, 38 points with 666 at HL (13.01.2014)

University of Bath (MEng) - Offer, 36 points with 6 in Math and Physics (19.02.2014)

Cardiff University (MEng) - Offer, 36 points with 5 in Math, Physics and English (03.01.2014)

University College London (BEng) - Offer, 36 points with 6 in Math and Physics and no score lower than 5 (09.03.2014)

University of Warwick (BEng) - Offer, 36 points with 5 in Math, Physics and 4 in English (04.02.2014)

Predicted Grade:

37 (with 766 at HL) + 1 bonus point

Note: I applied to demanding/good engineering universities (for my standards) because I have no intention of going to the UK if the university is simply average, but for unis like UCL and Warwick I know that I have close to no chance of getting in for MEng - so I opted for BEng.

Woohoo! Finally heard back from all unis! :D

Edited by maroctam
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update- had a direct interview with a UAL rep who visited my school- got an offer for Camberwell FdA in Graphic Design..... sort of halfway between a BA & a Foundation course. Needless to say, I'm not a giant fan of UAL in general, and I'm planning to study in Australia if UAL is my only UK option!

Was fairly informative though- I'll give them that :P

And in regards to UCAS, my official status for LCC is 'rejected', but I'll still be receiving a letter of offer from Camberwell, it seems.

(http://www.arts.ac.uk/camberwell/courses/undergraduate/fda-graphic-design/ for more info on the FdA if you're interested)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, just saw this thread.

Since I'm taking a gap year, I'm applying this year with a score of 44 points (6 7 7 7 at HL).

Date of application: 14th October 2013

Applied to:

1. University of Oxford - The Queen's College - PPE
  2. London School of Economics - Philosophy & Economics
  3. Durham University - Grey College - PPE
  4. Warwick University - PPE
  5. University of Manchester - PPE

Status

1. University of Oxford - Just finished TSA today, waiting to hear whether I'm invited for interview. Should hear by end of november.
  2. LSE - They will reply within this week.
  3. Durham University - Unconditional offer
  4. Warwick University - Unconditional offer
  5. University of Manchester - Unconditional offer

I'm going to the UK in early dec to check out all the universities I've applied to, to see which one would be the best suited for me.

Between Warwick and Durham, which one would you guys suggest I go to, for PPE?

Got the news - Accepted by LSE for Philosophy & Economics!

It is time for lots of beer.

• Like 5

Hey everyone, just saw this thread.

Since I'm taking a gap year, I'm applying this year with a score of 44 points (6 7 7 7 at HL).

Date of application: 14th October 2013

Applied to:

1. University of Oxford - The Queen's College - PPE
  2. London School of Economics - Philosophy & Economics
  3. Durham University - Grey College - PPE
  4. Warwick University - PPE
  5. University of Manchester - PPE

Status

1. University of Oxford - Just finished TSA today, waiting to hear whether I'm invited for interview. Should hear by end of november.
  2. LSE - They will reply within this week.
  3. Durham University - Unconditional offer
  4. Warwick University - Unconditional offer
  5. University of Manchester - Unconditional offer

I'm going to the UK in early dec to check out all the universities I've applied to, to see which one would be the best suited for me.

Between Warwick and Durham, which one would you guys suggest I go to, for PPE?

Got the news - Accepted by LSE for Philosophy & Economics!

It is time for lots of beer.

Congrats! :D Hope you get offer from Oxford too.