2014 UCAS Application thread

Erudite

Wow,lucky you got into Cambridge. Two of my friends applied for Cambridge. One got rejected (Trinity) and other's decision will come only tomorrow (Gonville and Caius. Is it conditional offer?: :)

Sorry to hear about your friend, a friend of mine was also rejected unfortunately. What did they both apply for?

And yeah, it's conditional. Details are in my first post.

Wow,lucky you got into Cambridge. Two of my friends applied for Cambridge. One got rejected (Trinity) and other's decision will come only tomorrow (Gonville and Caius. Is it conditional offer?: :)

Sorry to hear about your friend, a friend of mine was also rejected unfortunately. What did they both apply for?

And yeah, it's conditional. Details are in my first post.

I think you can achieve conditional offer considering your predicted is high. Both of them are applying engineering. I am surprised for my rejected friend because he ranks in India for A Levels Physics and Chemistry. So you got your firm choice, :) congrats once again.

Course:

Mechanical Engineering (MEng)

Unis :

University of Surrey: Conditional offer (6 in Mathematics and Physics HL, 37 total)

University College London Offer Rejected

University of Bath Conditional offer (6 in Mathematics and Physics HL, 36 total)

University of Manchester: Conditional offer (6 in Mathematics and Physics HL, 37 total)

University of Leeds:Conditional offer (5 in Mathematics and Physics HL)

Predicted Grade:

No Idea, school wouldn't disclose. But i was told that i had 37/42 total.

I am in the same situation as maroctam. The idea of applying to the UK was never on my mind. My sister pushed me to!

Edited by Fiz
  • Like 3

Sent Application:

Late September 2013

Course:

Law (M100)

Universities and offers:

Queens' College, Cambridge: Conditional Offer (7, 7, 6 at HL and 41 total)

London School of Economics: Conditional Offer (7, 6, 6 at HL and 38 total)

University College London: Unconditional Offer (Despite my fairly mediocre performance in LNAT!)

King's College London: Rejected :( (Probably because of LNAT!)

Since I'm finished with the IB and have gotten all my results, I know that I've definitely exceeded the conditions of the 2 conditional offers I've gotten so far! I'd really love to go to Cambridge (unless I get US offers and suddenly decide I'd rather go there instead), so hopefully everything will work out and I'll be starting there after an extended post-IB break. Given that it's incredibly difficult to get in, I feel very lucky to have gotten an offer when other hyper-talented people haven't. And @ctrls, perhaps I may see you there too. :)

Edited by flinquinnster
  • Like 9

Hey everyone, just saw this thread.

Since I'm taking a gap year, I'm applying this year with a score of 44 points (6 7 7 7 at HL).

Date of application: 14th October 2013

Applied to:

1. University of Oxford - The Queen's College - PPE
  2. London School of Economics - Philosophy & Economics
  3. Durham University - Grey College - PPE
  4. Warwick University - PPE
  5. University of Manchester - PPE

Status

1. University of Oxford - Just finished TSA today, waiting to hear whether I'm invited for interview. Should hear by end of november.
  2. LSE - They will reply within this week.
  3. Durham University - Unconditional offer
  4. Warwick University - Unconditional offer
  5. University of Manchester - Unconditional offer

I'm going to the UK in early dec to check out all the universities I've applied to, to see which one would be the best suited for me.

Between Warwick and Durham, which one would you guys suggest I go to, for PPE?

Got the news - Accepted by LSE for Philosophy & Economics!

It is time for lots of beer.

GUYS

Checked my email on my phone today (as I'd been doing every 2 minutes) while clipping my nails.

There it was, sitting pretty right in my junk folder:

We would like to offer you a place at Queen's College to read for Philosophy, Politics and Economics.

Pissing my pants in excitement right now.

• Like 5

Ok, that was unexpectedly pleasant!

Dear "Fiz" :D

Congratulations, University of Surrey has asked us to tell you that they are offering you a place for Mechanical Engineering (4 years), starting in September 2014, at point of entry 1.

I can say i am happy right now!

• Like 5

Ok, that was unexpectedly pleasant!

Dear "Fiz" :D

Congratulations, University of Surrey has asked us to tell you that they are offering you a place for Mechanical Engineering (4 years), starting in September 2014, at point of entry 1.

I can say i am happy right now!

Congrats! What's the offer? :)

Here it is.

Obtain at least 37 points in International Baccalaureate. A grade 6 for Mathematics and Physics at higher level is required. A score of 35 points with 6 in Mathematics and Physics at higher level would allow access to the BEng.

• Like 1

Got an offer from Cambridge for CompSci! :panic:

Congratulations! :D

Got the news - Accepted by LSE for Philosophy & Economics!

It is time for lots of beer.

GUYS

Checked my email on my phone today (as I'd been doing every 2 minutes) while clipping my nails.

There it was, sitting pretty right in my junk folder:

We would like to offer you a place at Queen's College to read for Philosophy, Politics and Economics.

Pissing my pants in excitement right now.

Double congratulations to you!! :D :D

Course:

Law (M100)

Unis (in order of preference):

University of Oxford (Merton College)

London School of Economics

Durham University (St. Chad's college)

King's College London

University of Warwick

Current status (26th November):

Oxford - Conditional Offer

LSE - Conditional Offer (successfully complete the IB Diploma)

Durham - Rejected :(

King's College London - Conditional Offer (achieve 35 points in the IB with at least a 766 in HL subjects)

Warwick - Conditional Offer (achieve 36 points in the IB with at least a 5 in English HL

conditional offer is just successfully complete the IB diploma? no 666 or 766 or whatever?

Course:

Law (M100)

Unis (in order of preference):

University of Oxford (Merton College)

London School of Economics

Durham University (St. Chad's college)

King's College London

University of Warwick

Current status (26th November):

Oxford - Conditional Offer

LSE - Conditional Offer (successfully complete the IB Diploma)

Durham - Rejected :(

King's College London - Conditional Offer (achieve 35 points in the IB with at least a 766 in HL subjects)

Warwick - Conditional Offer (achieve 36 points in the IB with at least a 5 in English HL

conditional offer is just successfully complete the IB diploma? no 666 or 766 or whatever?

Yes for exceptional students, top universities make really easy offers to them, occasionally, as they really want them.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear xx,

I am sorry to advise you that we will have to turn down your application to study Mathematics at Imperial College London.

We are not permitted to make an offer to any student under the age of 16 for a Tier 4 UK Student Visa. I would, however, encourage you to apply next year, when we will be in a position to give you proper consideration.

Yours sincerely

Sioned Morgan

Administrator, Undergraduate Admissions and Msc in Mathematics and Finance

Imperial College London

Huxley Building

180 Queen’s Gate

London SW7 2AZ

Thanks, ICL!

Otherwise:

Trinity College Cambridge, Mathematics G100: Rejected requesting feedback but I sort of already know what they're going to say.

Imperial College London, Mathematics G103: See letter above.

University of Warwick: Waiting for decisions

University College London: Waiting for decisions
University of Bath: Sent me a form about their under 18 policy and asked me to appoint a UK guardian.

At least I've applied to universities in other countries.

Not to be bitter--Cambridge and ICL are my first two choices, I still love them and would apply to them for postgraduate but this is simply...

Sent Application:

Late September 2013

Course:

Law (M100)

Universities and offers:

Queens' College, Cambridge: Conditional Offer (7, 7, 6 at HL and 41 total)

London School of Economics: Conditional Offer (7, 6, 6 at HL and 38 total)

King's College London: Waiting (LNAT score pending)

University College London: Waiting (LNAT score pending)

Since I'm finished with the IB and have gotten all my results, I know that I've definitely exceeded the conditions of the 2 conditional offers I've gotten so far! I'd really love to go to Cambridge (unless I get US offers and suddenly decide I'd rather go there instead), so hopefully everything will work out and I'll be starting there after an extended post-IB break. Given that it's incredibly difficult to get in, I feel very lucky to have gotten an offer when other hyper-talented people haven't. And @ctrls, perhaps I may see you there too. :)

You know for a second there I got excited thinking We're going to the same college!.

Then i saw the "Cambridge" part XD