2014 UCAS Application thread

Erudite

Sent Application:

Late September 2013

Course:

Law (M100)

Universities and offers:

Queens' College, Cambridge: Conditional Offer (7, 7, 6 at HL and 41 total)

London School of Economics: Conditional Offer (7, 6, 6 at HL and 38 total)

King's College London: Waiting (LNAT score pending)

University College London: Waiting (LNAT score pending)

Since I'm finished with the IB and have gotten all my results, I know that I've definitely exceeded the conditions of the 2 conditional offers I've gotten so far! I'd really love to go to Cambridge (unless I get US offers and suddenly decide I'd rather go there instead), so hopefully everything will work out and I'll be starting there after an extended post-IB break. Given that it's incredibly difficult to get in, I feel very lucky to have gotten an offer when other hyper-talented people haven't. And @ctrls, perhaps I may see you there too. :)

You know for a second there I got excited thinking We're going to the same college!.

Then i saw the "Cambridge" part XD

I know, I was excited to see someone potentially going to the same college but then I was disappointed! Pretty easy to get it confused too, although conventionally the apostrophes go in different places.

Sorry to hear about your rejections but from what I see they aren't based on your academic merit. Just different problems you can't avoid. How old are you?

14 now, 15 in April.

I understand that there are concerns but they never mentioned this on their minor policy (maybe I'm the first under 16 international applicant, who knows).

I checked their page about visa and saw that they just updated the page to include this

Imperial College does not hold a Tier 4 (Child) licence and as a result are unable to sponsor any students who are under 16 years of age. Your age will be taken as the age that you are on the date of making your visa application.

After I got my rejection.

• 2 weeks later...

You are doing great, congrats guys! I am impressed and happy for you! :)

@ssy: you are not even 15. Doing the hardest IB ever (unnecessarily hard I believe lol). In my humble opinion, you are WAY too young to have a proper life at Uni, with parties and stuff, you would have trouble fitting in. I am sincerely impressed by your intellect though, and would advice you to take at least one gap year, doing something fun, and preparing for Uni in one way or the other. Then reapply. Half of the people on this thread had exams in May 2013 or November 2012, and so on, and got into Oxbridge. It will make you mature a bit, and I believe you will be able to cope with interviews much better. Just my 2 cents.

I am studying Mathematics at Imperial College, and went through an unsuccessful interview at Oxford last year. If you need advice, don't hesitate and contact me.

Edited by Zarathustra
  • Like 1

You are doing great, congrats guys! I am impressed and happy for you! :)

@ssy: you are not even 15. Doing the hardest IB ever (unnecessarily hard I believe lol). In my humble opinion, you are WAY too young to have a proper life at Uni, with parties and stuff, you would have trouble fitting in. I am sincerely impressed by your intellect though, and would advice you to take at least one gap year, doing something fun, and preparing for Uni in one way or the other. Then reapply. Half of the people on this thread had exams in May 2013 or November 2012, and so on, and got into Oxbridge. It will make you mature a bit, and I believe you will be able to cope with interviews much better. Just my 2 cents.

I am studying Mathematics at Imperial College, and went through an unsuccessful interview at Oxford last year. If you need advice, don't hesitate and contact me.

Currently seriously considering taking a gap year and reapply, but that still depends on other universities' decisions and I don't know what to expect for reapplying, having read several threads on reapplying to Cambridge/other places on TSR, I don't know if the risk is worth it (although the idea of risk is on the premise that I actually get to somewhere else I would like to go to).

The major problem is that I don't know what would be best for me in the long run, and either way is going to involve some discontent and/or risk. I feel I already know what I wanted but I'm unsure if the desire is rational or not. Reason (probably not only reason) tells me that Cambridge will be (as far as I know) best for me but reason also tells me not to hold too much hope for that.

How was your interview at Oxford? For mine I just solved problems and we didn't even talk about anything else. Different to what I was excepting for but others said they got the same thing so I think it's normal. (International interview)

My interviews were actually pretty good, and it was mainly solving problems (about 90 - 95% was solving problems, the rest was discussing my PS). I messed the test up pretty badly (wasn't even hard, just wasn't my day I guess :( ). I think I got pooled, since I had an interview more than everyone else, but infortunately my interview couldn't amend my poor performance at the test.

As I said before, age is a huge factor. I think you should be at least 16, if not 17, when going to Uni. Take a gap year and prepare well for possible interviews, do something with Mathematics so that you can improve your PS and not lose your "hand", and try and have fun, like all teenagers.

Oh, and no one gets into Trinity, like never lol.

Currently seriously considering taking a gap year and reapply, but that still depends on other universities' decisions and I don't know what to expect for reapplying, having read several threads on reapplying to Cambridge/other places on TSR, I don't know if the risk is worth it (although the idea of risk is on the premise that I actually get to somewhere else I would like to go to).

The major problem is that I don't know what would be best for me in the long run, and either way is going to involve some discontent and/or risk. I feel I already know what I wanted but I'm unsure if the desire is rational or not. Reason (probably not only reason) tells me that Cambridge will be (as far as I know) best for me but reason also tells me not to hold too much hope for that.

If don't mind taking an extra year, I'd say it'll be worth trying. You are certainly an extremely strong candidate, I do think you are good enough in terms of getting into Cambridge. Applying 'early' was arguably more risky in my opinion, rushing through school does have drawbacks.

If you do take a gap year, you will have to make use of it and do maths during that time. Some college are fine with gap-year applicants, it's just that they want you to be continuously doing maths so you don't 'loose' the skill. In addition, I would recommend aiming to get as high of an IB score as possible (both overall and HL only).

My interviews were actually pretty good, and it was mainly solving problems (about 90 - 95% was solving problems, the rest was discussing my PS). I messed the test up pretty badly (wasn't even hard, just wasn't my day I guess :( ). I think I got pooled, since I had an interview more than everyone else, but infortunately my interview couldn't amend my poor performance at the test.

As I said before, age is a huge factor. I think you should be at least 16, if not 17, when going to Uni. Take a gap year and prepare well for possible interviews, do something with Mathematics so that you can improve your PS and not lose your "hand", and try and have fun, like all teenagers.

Well my interview is normal then.

I don't know how I performed against others for the interview but for the test I did spend too much time working on a (in fact not that hard) complex number problem which made me unable to do a geometry problem that seemed quite interesting.

Several years ago there was a student who was two months younger than I am now when he got into Cambridge, which made me think "Oh at least they won't directly reject me once they notice the age", but then they will still be stricter, naturally.

...Especially someone told me later that Trinity didn't like underage applicants. (That student got to Fitzwilliams)

I know my PS wasn't very good (submitted it to TSR PS help in September but got a reply on Oct. 13th and I have already sent my application) and I can improve these things I didn't do well on during a gap year, but the admissions will probably frown on these combined (underage, reapplicant, international) which is one factor I'm worried of.

Next year I'll be 16 so at least ICL won't do that again, but if I do take a gap year I'd be aiming for Cambridge and probably only Cambridge.

Since Trinity is the largest undergraduate college I strongly doubt that :P

If don't mind taking an extra year, I'd say it'll be worth trying. You are certainly an extremely strong candidate, I do think you are good enough in terms of getting into Cambridge. Applying 'early' was arguably more risky in my opinion, rushing through school does have drawbacks.

If you do take a gap year, you will have to make use of it and do maths during that time. Some college are fine with gap-year applicants, it's just that they want you to be continuously doing maths so you don't 'loose' the skill.

I don't mind as long as I get in, but that is anyways a risk I'll have to take.

I am graduating from high school and have nothing else (more prioritized and impossible to multitask) to do than the natural next step, but a gap year is probably not as bad as that for others, since I (sort of) have three years of time saved. However, even so I wanted to save them for unpredictable needs like one would to his three wishes, and although this is certainly an important need that would change my life, I don't know if the results will make the year spent worthwhile.

In addition, I would recommend aiming to get as high of an IB score as possible (both overall and HL only).

That is another problem for the gap year: I'm quite sure that I'll get 7s for my HLs but not as sure for my SLs, especially for English (predicted 5 aiming for 6) as I'm not a native speaker and was in fact eligible to take English B. Although I'll have to get to 41/42/whatever the requirement is anyways, the first impressions still matter. A student predicted 42 can get 43, 44, or 45, but a student that got 42 just has 42.

Edited by ssy

Well my interview is normal then.

I don't know how I performed against others for the interview but for the test I did spend too much time working on a (in fact not that hard) complex number problem which made me unable to do a geometry problem that seemed quite interesting.

Several years ago there was a student who was two months younger than I am now when he got into Cambridge, which made me think "Oh at least they won't directly reject me once they notice the age", but then they will still be stricter, naturally.

...Especially someone told me later that Trinity didn't like underage applicants. (That student got to Fitzwilliams)

I know my PS wasn't very good (submitted it to TSR PS help in September but got a reply on Oct. 13th and I have already sent my application) and I can improve these things I didn't do well on during a gap year, but the admissions will probably frown on these combined (underage, reapplicant, international) which is one factor I'm worried of.

Next year I'll be 16 so at least ICL won't do that again, but if I do take a gap year I'd be aiming for Cambridge and probably only Cambridge.

Since Trinity is the largest undergraduate college I strongly doubt that :P

If you do take a gap year, you will have to make use of it and do maths during that time. Some college are fine with gap-year applicants, it's just that they want you to be continuously doing maths so you don't 'loose' the skill.

I don't mind as long as I get in, but that is anyways a risk I'll have to take.

I am graduating from high school and have nothing else (more prioritized and impossible to multitask) to do than the natural next step, but a gap year is probably not as bad as that for others, since I (sort of) have three years of time saved. However, even so I wanted to save them for unpredictable needs like one would to his three wishes, and although this is certainly an important need that would change my life, I don't know if the results will make the year spent worthwhile.

In addition, I would recommend aiming to get as high of an IB score as possible (both overall and HL only).

That is another problem for the gap year: I'm quite sure that I'll get 7s for my HLs but not as sure for my SLs, especially for English (predicted 5 aiming for 6) as I'm not a native speaker and was in fact eligible to take English B. Although I'll have to get to 41/42/whatever the requirement is anyways, the first impressions still matter. A student predicted 42 can get 43, 44, or 45, but a student that got 42 just has 42.

Trinity is by far the most famous and prestigious Cambridge College (at least concerning Mathematics/Physics), and while it is true it has many more places than other colleges, more students apply, especially internationals (who are usually very, very good). So you have to confront yourself with the best (on a side note, I also heard that Trinity doesn't enjoy particularly internationals, and usually only picks IMO/IPhO medallists with few exceptions). Furthermore, Trinity tends to hand out SS offers in STEP, whilst other Colleges usually only require 1s and ocasionally even 2s. On TSR people were given 43/45 offers, with 777 @ HL and SS in STEP 2, 3. That is hard :P

Said that, I would still apply to 5 Unis next year as well, it is worth it! And getting a 42 won't prevent you getting an offer from Oxbridge, since you would still fullfil their standard offers (aside from Trinity maybe :D ).

That is another problem for the gap year: I'm quite sure that I'll get 7s for my HLs but not as sure for my SLs, especially for English (predicted 5 aiming for 6) as I'm not a native speaker and was in fact eligible to take English B. Although I'll have to get to 41/42/whatever the requirement is anyways, the first impressions still matter. A student predicted 42 get 43, 44, or 45, but a student that got 42 just has 42.

I don't think this is really an issue, to be honest. 42 is still very high - it's certainly enough in terms of Cambridge standards - especially if you can score 7776/7777 or similar in your HL's. If you sit STEP and do well in it (even if it's 'just' STEP I), then that'll make things even better. I think having an obtained score will be more advantageous too, a student predicted 42 can always fall back and end up with a 38 (I've heard of this happening more than once). Cambridge actually doesn't really like grade predictions because they tend to be unreliable, so an obtained grade gives them more credible evidence of ability.

Trinity is by far the most famous and prestigious Cambridge College (at least concerning Mathematics/Physics), and while it is true it has many more places than other colleges, more students apply, especially internationals (who are usually very, very good). So you have to confront yourself with the best (on a side note, I also heard that Trinity doesn't enjoy particularly internationals, and usually only picks IMO/IPhO medallists with few exceptions).

I know what you meant :P

Never had a chance to take part in any international contests, as I only arrived Canada three years ago and my home country is full of mathematical geniuses...

Furthermore, Trinity tends to hand out SS offers in STEP, whilst other Colleges usually only require 1s and ocasionally even 2s. On TSR people were given 43/45 offers, with 777 @ HL and SS in STEP 2, 3. That is hard :P

Said that, I would still apply to 5 Unis next year as well, it is worth it! And getting a 42 won't prevent you getting an offer from Oxbridge, since you would still fullfil their standard offers (aside from Trinity maybe :D ).

Remember that "IB 45/45 IELTS 9.0 with 9.0 in writing" Peterhouse offer for Economics?

Trinity's standard offer on their website was 42/45 and 11, but it's true that they often give out offers higher than that. SS for STEP 2 and 3 is just... if they think the student is strong enough for achieving that, shouldn't they give a normal offer (or even an easy offer)?

I think I'll get the feedback next week or so, then what I'll do depends on what they say.

I don't think this is really an issue, to be honest. 42 is still very high - it's certainly enough in terms of Cambridge standards - especially if you can score 7776/7777 or similar in your HL's. If you sit STEP and do well in it (even if it's 'just' STEP I), then that'll make things even better. I think having an obtained score will be more advantageous too, a student predicted 42 can always fall back and end up with a 38 (I've heard of this happening more than once). Cambridge actually doesn't really like grade predictions because they tend to be unreliable, so an obtained grade gives them more credible evidence of ability.

From what I see universities tend to be stricter on underage applicants, but then hope we'll do well on our IB exams and STEP which are parts of the requirement anyways.

I wanted to do STEP I last year but didn't do it, probably I should have done that...

Yes, a problem with IB is that it only has the one exam, while in A Levels there's the AS level exam which can somewhat predict how you'll do on the final exam (so a student that gets 93% UMS average in AS will at least get into the pool.), and school predictions are often unreliable (and in my case I didn't even get a predicted score for Further Mathematics as it's self study).

Well hopefully they (or others) will not notice the 5s/6s in SL...

Edited by ssy

I know a handful of people who applied at Trinity.
Among successful applicants:
One won a Silver medal at IMO in the '80s, but participated at IMO after he got an offer (he was international btw). He got an unconditional offer (only had to pass the IB). This was in the late '80s, so the system might have changed a lot, or perhaps they really liked him a lot (he also completed a PhD and works as an investment banker - he is very, very rich, although he sold himself to the devil)!
One did not participate at competitions, yet he got in, Don't know the offer though (didn't do the IB btw).
Among unsuccessful applicants:
One won 1 Gold medal (after the interview though), 1 Silver medal and 1 Honourable Mention at IPhO, yet got rejected. He got pooled, got fished, but decided against going.
Two didn't take part in competitions, but were simply very very good (did research projects and learnt quite some Uni level math on their own). Both were pooled, but weren't fished.
Two were pretty average, and didn't get an interview.
All of the aforementioned were International/EU students.

I know a handful of people who applied at Trinity.

Among successful applicants:

One won a Silver medal at IMO in the '80s, but participated at IMO after he got an offer (he was international btw). He got an unconditional offer (only had to pass the IB). This was in the late '80s, so the system might have changed a lot, or perhaps they really liked him a lot (he also completed a PhD and works as an investment banker - he is very, very rich, although he sold himself to the devil)!

Wow. Unconditional offer...

Two didn't take part in competitions, but were simply very very good (did research projects and learnt quite some Uni level math on their own). Both were pooled, but weren't fished.

That's what my friend is who applied to NatSci biological... she got pooled and wasn't fished (she lived in the UK, did A levels, lots of reading, self-study and work experience), I thought she had a better chance of getting in so this scares me so much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My scores:

Economics HL - 7

Math HL - 6

English B HL - 7

Chemistry SL - 7

Geography SL - 7

Korean A Lit SL - 7

TOK - B

EE - A

Total: 44/45

IGCSE:

English A - A*

Math(extended) - A*

Geography - A*

Economics - A

MYP

English A - 6

Math(extended) - 7

Economics - 6

Geography - 6

Science(extended) - 7

Computer Applications - 6

Korean A - 6

Personal Project - 6

Applications:

LSE - Management

UCL - Management Science

Warwick - Management

Bath - Management

Durham - Business and Management

Offers recieved:

LSE - Conditional. 37 with 766 in higher levels. Certified verification of English language qualification needed.

UCL - Waiting.

Warwick - Conditional. 38 overall with no subject under 5.

Bath - Conditional. 38 overall with no subject under 5. Recieve 6 in HL Econ and HL English B.

Durham - Conditional. 36 overall with 665 in higher levels.

Going to firm LSE and put Warwick as insurance when I get all 5 offers. :D

• 4 months later...

Hi, just a question about requirements for HL. Say, a course has a requirement of 776 for HL subjects, and I got 7766 for my 4 HL subjects. Would they consider the top 3, or will they take into account the 4th one?

I'm under the impression that they generally take your top 3 subjects into consideration - they aren't that cruel. However, if the conditional offer specified a particular subject that you had to get a 7 in (e.g. Chemistry HL), then you do have to fulfil that. They might also specify that the subjects that the 3 HL subjects they consider are Maths + 2 sciences, or some other combination. Generally, I think that if they didn't tell you in their conditional offer which 3 subjects you had to get the 776 in then you should be fine. 

EDIT: I just noticed your exam date and realised that you probably haven't got a conditional offer yet! In that case, I would hazard a guess that you just need 776 in your top 3 subjects - although check the website for the courses you are applying to because they sometimes will say that they expect the scores from subjects related to your degree (though I don't think this is common, I've mostly seen it for science/maths degrees). 

Edited by flinquinnster
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Saw the "2015 UCAS application thread" by Sofia and remembered this thread :) Can't believe I'm about to fly in about 2.5 hours!

So weird to see all of us getting excited by offers, and now we're actually in the universities. 

Seems surreal, to be honest. 

• Like 2