Hi, so I'm just starting to think about my EE topic and I know I want to do it in Eng & Lit, but I think I may have too many options... I am really interested in writing about Oscar Wilde, using two of his works (which I've already read): The Importance of Being Earnest, and The Picture of Dorian Gray. The problem is many people say it's a bit cliché, or overused, and I also can't decide exactly what to write about. I had thought about comparing the characters from both books that are a representation of the Dandy, and discussing until what point they can be considered as a self portrayal of Wilde himself, but my teacher told me that it is obvious they are a self portrayal of him, so it kind of ruins the whole idea.

I could connect that maybe to the theme of the Aesthetic movement, and argue up to which point Wilde's works are a criticism of this way of thinking, or a truthfull portrayal of them.

If not, could someone give me perhaps another author to compare him to? I just really like him, and I am almost set on writing about him.

Thanks for your help! :)

I adore Wilde as well - The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my favourite books!

Here's a thought. [i can't come up with ideas for you per se, only guidance in the right direction, so this is a very vague offering.] If you really want to write about Wilde, you could perhaps pick some of his poetry or the like, some lesser-known works. And if you'd still rather like to do the two works you mentioned, why not pick two characters that might be thought of as more 'supporting' roles? That way you can still write about them but in a rather different way.

And if you would like to try another author to compare, I'd suggest Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. [it has nothing to do with the fact that I also love this book. Nope. None at all. Totally impartial here.]

• Like 1