Exploring relationships in fractals

Skumtomten

Hi there!

For my Math Exploration, I am thinking about doing something regarding fractals, but I have problems developing a focused research question. What kind of things should/could I be able to prove? Perhaps something along the lines of "finding the relationship between fractal x and y" or "finding the relationship in the area of different fractals based on the number of iterations".

• 2 weeks later...

I do not recommend fractals at all. They look cool, but mathematically speaking they are either way beyond the IB syllabus (like the mandelbrot set) or way too simple (like the koch snowflake). Although an EE in math is not the same thing as an IA in math, they are somewhat similar and the Extended Essay guide says rather blatantly that EEs about fractals won't score well. I assume this is the case for IAs as well. So unless you have a really good, original idea that is feasible and know how to carry out, you should probably change topic. Good luck!

• Like 1