Effect of THC on the brain (and mood)

kentpop

Hello!

I need help with the effect of THC on the brain, in terms of synaptic transmission.

I don't understand if the THC binds to presynaptic receptors and block the release of anandamide into the synaptic cleft, or if it binds to receptors on the postsynaptic neurone, blocking the binding of anandamide. What I understand from the book and the study guide is that it binds to presynaptic receptors (cannabioid receptors) and so block the release of anandamide (excitatory neurotransmitter) and so the postsynaptic neurone is not stimulated. But the book also says that THC causes the postsynaptic neurone to be hyperpolarised, so it must bind to the postsynaptic receptors?

Help :headchop::(

Best wishes

THC is an inhibitory psychoactive drug. It mimics anandamide (an inhibitory neurotransmitter). However, THC is not broken down at the post-synaptic receptors. As THC mimics an inhibitory transmitter this results in the hyper-polarisation of the post-synaptic neuron.