Do not discuss exams until 24 hours have passed. More information about the rules here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IBfreakingout!

Completing CAS

Hi

I was wondering, once you have completed your CAS and reflections and all of that and your second year of IB is about to end, you probably need to submit your CAS evidence etc somewhere. Could someone explain the procedure please?

Another query of mine is that say I have done exactly 50 hours of Creativity, is it possible that even after getting your supervisor to successfully review and complete the form, the IB disregard and activity claiming that I haven't given enough evidence or that 30 hours is a suspiciously large amount of time on any one activity?

Thanks

30 hours is a suspiciously large amount of time on anyone activity? No way! The IB likes that you have showed consistency and commitment to your CAS activities.

This is how the procedure works:

You will have to sit down with your CAS coordinator and provide evidence that you have fulfilled all learning outcomes. The evidence for the learning outcomes are written down on a separate page with reference to your CAS diary - e.g. if you have showed consideration of ethical implications on page 10 while doing activity X, this is noted down by the CAS coordinator.

The learning outcomes, summarized, are the following:

Learning outcomes

Increased awareness of strengths and areas for growth.

Undertaking new challenges - a new challenge may be an unfamiliar activity or an extension to an existing one.

Planned and initiated activities - planning and initiation will often be in collaboration with others. It can be shown in activities that are part of larger projects, for example, ongoing school activities in the local community, as well as in small student-led activities.

Engaged with issues of global importance.

Showing perseverance and commitment - this implies attending regularly and accepting a share of the responsibility for dealing with problems that arise in the course of activities. 

Consideration of ethical implications.

Developing new skills - activities that the student has not previously undertaken, or in increased expertise in an established area.

Furthermore, as I am about to finish my CAS and have my talk with the coordinator, he sent me this:

You will be booked an individual interview with the CAS coordinator. In this meeting, your progress in the CAS programme is assessed. The interviews will be beginning in late March (week 13) and will continue during April.

In the interview, we will first do the following:

Check that you have undertaken a CAS programme of sufficient scope. You should have undertaken CAS for the equivalent of about one afternoon a week over a period of 18 months (this corresponds to about 150 hours).

Check that you have undertaken a programme that has a suitable balance. You should show that you have been engaged in a meaningful way in all three areas of CAS (creativity, action and service). This is particularly important for the area of service.

Check that you have undertaken a project/larger activity (at least 10 hours) that is collaborative and that combines at least two of the three areas of CAS.

Check that you have documented the supervision and planning of all of your activities. You should have completed an Activity Proposal Form, a Guiding Questions Form and a Supervisors’ Evaluation Form for every activity.

Check that you have written a suitable CAS diary.

After this, we will fill in the CAS Completion Form together. The CAS Completion Form lists the learning outcomes, which are the goals of CAS (you can find these on the CAS site). We will consider each learning outcome in turn and find a place in your diary where you have demonstrated fulfilment of the learning outcome. We write the page number, or a reference to the location, in the form, beside the learning outcome. I am attaching a copy of the form so that you can see what it looks like.

Once the CAS Completion Form is completed, it is signed by the CAS coordinator and a note of this is made in your CAS Progress Form. With this, you will have completed the CAS programme.

Hope I helped at least a bit!

4 people like this

Maks is accurate. The number of hours that are spent on an activity in CAS are significant only if the student can provide evidence of the 8 Learning Outcomes.

The IB does not 'disregard an activity' - the CAS Coordinator and the individual student should disregard the hour counting.

Maks is accurate. The number of hours that are spent on an activity in CAS are significant only if the student can provide evidence of the 8 Learning Outcomes.

The IB does not 'disregard an activity' - the CAS Coordinator and the individual student should disregard the hour counting.

By evidence, do you mean the CAS questions?

Yes, that could be one option. And these questions could be answered in writing or an interview. You might also have a "journal" - in written form or photo or video that documents your claims too.