Computer Science/ ITGS Extended Essay

usmanif

Hi guys,

I'm currently starting the process of choosing a specific extended essay topic, and I have decided on doing it on the Google Car. If any of you don't know exactly what this is, it's essentially a project by Google to create a car that drives itself. I'm having a tough time formulating an actually EE question (what to focus on).

Help?
Thanks

I think an EE about the Google Car would be more suitable for ITGS. You could easily explore the social aspect of a self-driving car - people's attitudes towards the concept, the perceived safety, how realistic its widespread implementation really is, etc. I don't think I'm allowed to give you specific titles but that shouldn't be too hard.

However, that isn't to say that you couldn't do the EE in Computer Science. It would just have to be much more technical, keeping the social aspect to a minimum. In this case, you could focus on the algorithms the car uses to stay on course, detect obstacles. Perhaps you could write your own code in java for an algorithm that the car could implement.

Writing the essay on Computer Science would be more technical meaning it would be less research and more work, but it's much easier to get an A if you do it properly. I wrote my essay in Computer Science (you can find it in my files), and I can tell you it was quite tedious at times, all that testing of algorithms, but it's easier to know that the result is close to perfect, while an essay discussing societal aspects is more up to judgement.

So I'll leave it up to you! I think writing about the Google Car is a great idea.

Hope I could help!

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your help, I think that perhaps an ITGS topic is more suitable. To my current knowledge, I need a primary source on the topic. Any suggestions on what I could do to acquire this primary source? I was thinking about perhaps emailing someone related to the google case or their administration,but I doubt I will get a response

I also doubt you would get a response... Are you sure that you need a primary source? Is this specific to an ITGS Extended Essay?

I could be wrong, but I would assume that a simple stimuli is enough, e.g. an article, documentary, etc.

Edited by micogo

• 10 months later...