How many points would my examiner deduct in math exploration if it exceeds the page limit?

Namnam

So the thing is, I did my Math exploration. I started off with a VERY specific topic and followed what I like. When I self-evalutated myself, I gave myself high marks in every criterion except "A" (because it is not concise!)

The thing is, my Math exploration is 20 pages + 11 page Appendix!

So how many points will the teacher deduct if EVERYTHING is fantastic except for concision? Also, do you think I should add a note to my exploration explaining why it is so long?

Thanks a lot!!

Hi Namnam,

Unfortunately we don't currently have an IB teacher on the Math section so I've had to move your thread to the general math forum.

I myself don't know the answer to help you either but hopefully some of our alumni Math students will be able to help :)

Hi there! Unfortunately no alumni can help as the IA is new. However, IA guideline states that 6-12 pages is the recommended length there's no obvious penalty for exceeding the page "limit". As long as those extra 8 pages are necessary to your IA, I think you should be fine. If there's some stuff in it that isn't needed I suggest you cut it out without too much hesitation since 8 additional pages is a lot and you're meant to have chosen a topic that can be answered in the number of pages of recommended. I think the the reason why there is no word limit is because math equations don't count as words and the amount of math from IA to IA varies, so the page limit is still important despite being a recommendation, especially since they allowed for such a big range.

• Like 2

"How long should it be?

It is difficult to be prescriptive about mathematical writing. However, the Mathematics SL guide and the Mathematics HL guide state that 6–12 pages should be appropriate. A common failing of mathematical writing is excessive repetition, and this should be avoided, as such explorations will be penalized for lack of conciseness. However, it is recognized that some explorations will require the use of several diagrams, which may extend them beyond the page limit. "

So if you want us to tell you how much marks you are going to lose you are going to have to give us some info about your exploration. You can also grade yourself with the info I provided above.