Correlational Study for Math SL IA?

nmerrill

I had a look at the syllabus for the requirements on the IA and it says under use of mathematics that it needs to be relevant. I can imagine that if you don't cover correlation in methods SL then you probably have to stick to a topic that is covered. What has your teacher said about it?

It is covered, and my teacher has included it on the list of "suggested topics" for the IA. However, when I talked with him about what the differeneces between a correlation IA in mathematics and a math studies IA, he said something very vague about "going beyond the data". So I'm just trying to think what exactly that means?

He might be referring to conducting diagnostic tests. I can imagine that they teach more applied or practical tests for correlation analysis than in SL. That being said it wasn't really part of the syllabus I did for Methods SL so I wouldn't know what you covered. Do studies cover the R squared and how to conduct test statistics/inferential statistics?