Economics without maths HL..

Adrianna

Hey guys,

Well I finally, after many troubles with this, decided to apply for economics and business degree. Althought I don't see myself as an economist my parents advise me to choose economics rather that business, or at least a joint degree telling me that busieness is kind of "all and nothing" soft degree and economics is something that will attract my future employees more. I agree with them but I have maths at only SL level, I am hopefully going to have predicted grade 7 and I don't suck at maths too much, but it is still SL not HL. I wonder if I have any chances to get into economics with maths (SL) and whether I had bigger chance if I applied for business. Maybe you guys could help me?

The universities that I chosen don't require HL but who knows them.. (Edinbourgh, Strathclyde, Bath for sure and I am still thinking about last 2)

Just get a 7 in SL math and you should be fine and prove to them that are very interested in studying economics or what you could is apply for economics and another joint degree like politics/social policy, this would help if you apply to a big university.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Well I finally, after many troubles with this, decided to apply for economics and business degree. Althought I don't see myself as an economist my parents advise me to choose economics rather that business, or at least a joint degree telling me that busieness is kind of "all and nothing" soft degree and economics is something that will attract my future employees more. I agree with them but I have maths at only SL level, I am hopefully going to have predicted grade 7 and I don't suck at maths too much, but it is still SL not HL. I wonder if I have any chances to get into economics with maths (SL) and whether I had bigger chance if I applied for business. Maybe you guys could help me?

The universities that I chosen don't require HL but who knows them.. (Edinbourgh, Strathclyde, Bath for sure and I am still thinking about last 2)

don't worry about it.. even i'm kinda worried about i because i do HL econ. with SL math, but like the guy above said, just do good in math and you should be fine

• 2 weeks later...

People, you can't just tell someone they'll be fine if they "do well in SL and show they're interested in Economics". It doesn't work like that. If the uni says that Maths HL is a prerequisite, it's a prerequisite, full stop, don't bother applying without it. Find unis that don't require you to take Maths HL and you'll be fine, but don't waste your UCAS choices on unis that are extremely highly likely to reject you just because you don't fulfil they entrance requirements.

• 2 weeks later...