Hardest HL Physics Topics ?

omass

Hello Every one

My Physics class just went through mechanics (topic 2) and non of us did exceptionally well in the test (yeah we all failed :S). So i was wondering is mechanics one the hardest IB Physics HL topics or is each topic just going to get a lot harder?

Any help would be very appreciated :)

P.S:

Eid Mubarak

Hello Every one

My Physics class just went through mechanics (topic 2) and non of us did exceptionally well in the test (yeah we all failed :S). So i was wondering is mechanics one the hardest IB Physics HL topics or is each topic just going to get a lot harder?

Any help would be very appreciated :)

P.S:

Eid Mubarak

well, even all of us had failed on the first test of mechanics.. and i wouldn't say it's the most difficult, it's just that you need to practice a lot.. and eventually you'll get the hang of it.. if you pay attention in every class and make proper notes all the time, you won't find it really difficult.. don't worry about failing the test. i mean you should worry a bit, but just practice and revise more..

In my opinion mechanics is one of the more straightforward topics in the course, although sometimes the intuition regarding graphs and sign conventions can be difficult.

I think that Waves and Fields and Forces are a lot harder than mechanics.

The best way to get better at Physics HL is to first take notes on the topic, so you have a foundation, then do lots of practice questions.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Hollath

I think mechanics tends to be difficult since it's one of the first (and one of the only) maths-heavy topics. This is especially since ideas related to forces and energy come up numerous times in other topics too, so you will have gone over them quite a few times by then. In addition, general manipulation of formulas and the idea of getting data from graphs may require getting used to, which you will get plenty of practice for.

I personally found a number of the AHL topics harder, but it's more of a question of understanding the content compared to mechanics. Topic 9 is also maths-heavy, but everything else is fairly straightforward in terms of calculations.

Edited by ctrls
  • Like 1

I personally found Thermal Physics and Fields and Forces very difficult. Mechanics was difficult at first but once you do enough practice questions you get the hang of it quite quickly. We still haven't covered the entire syllabus, but the two topics I mentioned earlier are the ones I struggled with the most thus far.

• Like 1