Need ideas for extended essay on recycling

Nati H

Hello everyone,

As the title indicates, I really need some help for my extended essay. I am still in 11 th grade but I have to start it; and need to come up with a research question.

I'm really not sure what I should do, so some advice would help me a lot! So far, i

was thinking of doing something related to recycling plastic. I could look at it from either a biological or economic point of view; but what would be some good questions I could address? Also, which one do you think will be easier? I have heard that getting a good grade with biology was hard...

Thankyou for your time

I would initially suggest that you pick a topic/subject area first. Many people will recommend the same thing because the format of a biology EE will be vastly different from an Economics EE. And considering how half your marks on the essay come from things like formatting/editing, it can be distressing if you choose to change your perspective (bio to econ, or vice versa) in the middle of your essay.

Choose your subject first and read the guidelines for that subject very carefully, and know what's expected of you. If you choose to do a biology EE, remember that you must include an experiment. I don't think that this would really fall under biology, you might want to look at environmental systems and societies (ESS) instead. Choose whatever subject you like, and then start narrowing it down. The economics side would likely be investigating a recycling firm or business (I don't really know, I know very little about formal economics), whereas ESS would be looking at it from that perspective.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I also think the subject is environmental studies and societies... as to what type of question I can address, any ideas? I saw that recycling plastic is very complex; and thought the effects of plastic can be very harmful for us and the environment, some people believe it is not worth to recycle because it costs so much... so could a question like "How valuable is recycling plastic?" or "Is plastic worth recycling?" work/be a good idea??

Edited by Nati H