IA topic help.

onua1

I am in the process of determining my IA topic for History HL. I wanted to do something to do with
Canadian history, since that is where my family is from. I was maybe going to do something with Japanese Canadian Internment or maybe the October crisis but I'm having issues narrowing down a topic. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

The good thing is that you've selected a general area of history (that isn't overdone! good work :D ). From here, start looking at smaller topics. You've identified the internment and the October crisis. From there you can go even narrower, perhaps looking at a cause, a person/group's role in the event, how important X was in causing the outcome of the event, stuff like that. It should be pretty specific because you've only got about 1200 words to spend on evidence and analysis, but it shouldn't be so narrow that you have nothing to work with.

• Like 1

I agree with the comment above! That should really help you.

And make sure you will have a range of sources, including two interesting sources to analyse! Also, you should probably have a clear answer in mind when thinking of the question, so you can give a really good and backed-up argument, especially for section D. Good luck!

Also, if you post the final research question/topic you come up with, we can give advice!

Oh and I want to add that you must remember that there are many different types of historical investigations that you can do:

• a historical topic or theme using written sources or a variety of sources
  • a historical topic based on fieldwork, for example, a museum, archeological site, battlefields, places of worship such as mosques or churches, historic buildings
  • a historical problem using documents (this could include newspapers)
  • a local history study
  • a historical study based on interviews
  • a historical investigation based on interpreting a novel, film or work of art (might be very interesting to do!!)
  • a historical investigation of cultural issues