Sign in to follow this  

Lab Report "Bicycles" Experiment

For my IA, I need to do an experiment about bicycles. I'm struggling to find a really good idea for my practical so I would really appreciate some guidance. Any ideas? =/

I read a really good physics EE that dealt with tire slippage during hard braking. There were some that dealt with the investigation of stability in various bikes, tire friction, etc.

Should it involve riding a bike? I was always keen on a study of heat released during braking, but it requires some specific equipment, and it would be performed on a stationry bike. That's why I could never do it. A simple one is to check the rolling resistance at various tyre pressures. Also an interesting one would be to determine the most efficient gears in terms of their rotational inertia. Or an estimate of aero drag change depending on positio. I myself have done my EE on rotational inertia of bike wheels (well, it wasn't very good, I must admit), and am now doing my final year project at uni on bike fitting, so the amount of ideas is really unlimited. :D

Edited by Slovakov

Does it have to be something that you have to carry out or just plan it?

Easiest way to do design experiment is to think of all possible physical properties that you could change about the object and then decide on two. One is your input other is output and all the rest will form some of your controls.