Extended Essay- Social/Cultural Anthropology? Any suggestions?

lagardeak

For my EE, I chose the subject area Social and Cultural Anthropology. I do not have any formal background knowledge on anthropology besides online research and lectures. From the research and discussion with my supervisor on what I wanted to do for anthropology, I wanted to look into environmental and social effects on early language development. I was hoping to investigate in what areas of society/culture such as media, art, music, storytelling. I would also go into the process of how children learn language and how children of bi/multilingual families are affected.

Is that topic too broad/vague? How specific should I be in the topic/research question?

Anything helps! 😊

Edited by lagardeak

Hi!, I'm doing something similar for my EE. You could do something like ... Is there any truth is storytelling?... How cultures (identify, represent, etc.) with legends and how (or why) they have managed to survive through the years..

Culture and Society are topics that are very important in social anthropology so you could focus on something related.... e.g. traditional songs or stories of a community (or a country) and how they reveal or affect the culture of that community.

Once you have a clear idea, you just need to phrase your question correctly so it meets the criteria.

Hi!, I'm doing something similar for my EE. You could do something like ... Is there any truth is storytelling?... How cultures (identify, represent, etc.) with legends and how (or why) they have managed to survive through the years..

Culture and Society are topics that are very important in social anthropology so you could focus on something related.... e.g. traditional songs or stories of a community (or a country) and how they reveal or affect the culture of that community.

Once you have a clear idea, you just need to phrase your question correctly so it meets the criteria.

So would I have to be more specific as to what culture I would be referring to? Off the top of my head, I was thinking of doing something along the lines of music, dance, language (lyrics/stories) in pre- or post-colonial Hawai'i.

So would I have to be more specific as to what culture I would be referring to? Off the top of my head, I was thinking of doing something along the lines of music, dance, language (lyrics/stories) in pre- or post-colonial Hawai'i.

I believe so; you need to be specific with your question, otherwise it will be too broad and they won't accept it. I think that your idea about Hawaii is good. You can always ask your supervisor to confirm that you are in the right track.

Good luck!

• Like 1