Best score combinations?

freshfaced333

Hi all

I was wondering what you guys think on the best score combinations for my subjects below. I am taking 4 HLs and 2 SLs because my school's schedule sucks and I really wanted to take Math HL. If someone takes 4 HLs instead of 3, and score relatively average, would US universities look at my score and think 'hey for 4 HLs, this person did really good,' or will they be like 'this person should not have taken 4 HLs due to their marks..' The only reason I took 4 was because I wanted to challenge myself with the Math HL, and challenge myself in general :) However, I really want to get the best possible marks, and I think that I will likely end up with these marks at the end of two year? What do you guys think? Good combination or no?

Thanks so much!

7 - HL Eng

5 - HL Math

6 - HL History of Europe

6 - HL Bio

5 - SL Chem

5 - SL French

I do all the same subjects as you with the exception of HL Maths (I do SL), and I have to agree with drlyon16- I would avoid taking more than 3 HLs if you can! I do HL History and HL Bio and they both have a huge amount on content that you need to learn. I also do HL English, which isn't too bad- just with a higher expectation I guess. Ultimately it's your choice, and if it looks good for uni applications, then great, otherwise I would try and find a way around it. The IB is challenging enough (especially IB2) as it is with 3 HLs, due to not only the amount of content that you need to know, but the constant pressure of a huge workload and too many IAs. I did IB partially to challenge myself, and English, Bio and History HLs and Chem, French and Maths SLs have certaintly proved to provide that challenge! (more so than often I would like.)

Maybe have a chat to your school's IB Coordinator to see what he/she thinks. I can see that your exams aren't till May 2015- so I'm guessing that you probably haven't started the program yet. At least at my school, we don't have to choose our HLs until the end of IB1, so if I were you I would see how you go before making decisions about how many HLs you will do in each subject- but that's just my opinion.

Good luck with the IB! It's almost over for me (exams are over in five weeks!), but it is such a great program and I would definitely recommend it. If you're willing to put in the work, then you have the potential to do really well.