Further Oral Activity

Hey guys, I've got my first FOA coming up this Monday and i'll be doing mine about the song 'Freedom of Speech' by Immortal technique (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCYbZZTEwiM)

I'm a bit nervous since this is my first FOA that i've ever done. I've been told by my teacher not to do a 'line-by-line' analysis of the song but I should rather focus mainly on the main ideas and also to draw multiple conclusions from the themes that I find in the song.

The activity that i'm planning to do is to by re-enact an interview and when I say something sensitive, the interviewer would take out a double meaning of that sentence and say something with a different meaning which I had intended. (Yeah, it's a bit confusing, i'm still planning out how the activity is going to go.)

For talking about whom this song is bias towards, i'm thinking about saying how it sort of generalizes all the people in-charge of running the Government.

I'd really appreciate some pointers on how to carry this out!

Your teacher is quite right, presumably for the same reasons as I am thinking: a line by line analysis would be clunky and sound too much like a school activity rather than an authentic-sounding radio interview.

Seems you have a strategy already: Double meanings would emerge in the interview and you would make it clear how the song is biased , all while both participants keep in the roles of interviewer-interviewee. Sounds good. Just make sure you refer frequently to the actual song lyrics (text), discussing choice of words and lyrical aspects and their significance/meaning to gain analytical points, making all a natural part of a good discussion.

• Like 1

Your teacher is quite right, presumably for the same reasons as I am thinking: a line by line analysis would be clunky and sound too much like a school activity rather than an authentic-sounding radio interview.

Seems you have a strategy already: Double meanings would emerge in the interview and you would make it clear how the song is biased , all while both participants keep in the roles of interviewer-interviewee. Sounds good. Just make sure you refer frequently to the actual song lyrics (text), discussing choice of words and lyrical aspects and their significance/meaning to gain analytical points, making all a natural part of a good discussion.

Will do, thank you :)

Interesting how Disney (Pinocchio) is used in the song and the repetition of "*****" ... which I expect is not always simply a racist slander. I've never heard this song before. Interesting. I am not sure what sense of "freedom" (no strings attached) he is using here.

Agreed, I'm guessing he uses the Pinocchio hook to emphasize how he has no 'strings' and isn't being controlled by any major record deal or sponsors. But I find it a bit contradictory because in the song he also talks about how 'Racism is frozen in time like Walt Disney' referring to the claims of how Walt Disney was a racist and supposedly froze his body when he died in hopes of being resurrected in the future.

Edited by RevolutionToast