HL Physics and Architecture

FerandaChua

Hi sorry I'm new to this, I want to know if HL Physics is compulsory for Architecture in Uni? I'm worried that my lack of HL in Math and Physics will stop me from studying Architecture. Also, is there any other courses I could take? I'm also quite interested in Psychology(except for the lac of jobs in Singapore)

My combination is this:

• HL Literature in English
  • SL Language B: Chinese
  • HL Economics
  • SL Physics
  • SL Mathematics
  • HL Visual Arts

:)

Hmm, well i'm sort of experiencing the same problem as you, so I went ahead and contacted a few universities and, well most of them told me that you'd need a high grade in Math SL (preferably a 7) to study architecture, OR a 6 in Math HL. Most of the universities preferred Math HL students over Math SL students. However when it comes to physics, the general opinion seems to be that you need atleast one science (lol), so why not take a science that would help you in architecture? would you rather take biology or chemistry? (which wouldnt help you in any way whatsoever). I advise you to take Design Technology instead of Physics. That way you can create a portfolio that includes your art from your Visual Arts Class, and your designs from Design Technology class.

hope it helps.

ps. methinks an amazing portfolio would compensate for your lack of math hl.

• 2 weeks later...

It actually depends on where you study.

Universities in the UK explicitly list the requirements for a certain field, so you might want to check several universities and their requirements.

Universities in the US on the other hand are a bit less picky, but i would still highly suggest you go on several university websites and give your college counselor a visit.

A good strategy would be to apply to the Arts and Architecture college of a university saying that you will do visual arts, and then switch to architecture when you get there. This way it doesn't matter if you have Math SL or HL. You can only do this for US universities by the way.

• 9 years later...