My school is charging money for a CAS trip I cannot go to?

My school has made a CAS trip "mandatory" and is charging 10,000 rupees for the trip ($163.19). I can't go for this trip. I am pretty sick, have loads of IAs and essays to do in the next couple of days and I'm giving my SAT on November 2.

They are charging me for a trip I am not going to. My parents received an email: "no refunds will be made since all bookings and other arrangements have been fixed."

Is this legal? Can they do this: pay on our part without our consent?

All answers are appreciated!

I never paid and neither did I give any consent form for the trip. The school simply informed us that the trip is mandatory and then said that they (the school) have already paid for the arrangements. They will charge me for the trip by adding the amount to the fee bill.

Edited by helpfulbucket

• 2 weeks later...

Well. That is indeed ridiculous. The CAS trip isn't mandatory. It is a matter of choice and the school has to first confirm how many students will go for the trip before making arrangements and setting the costs. I don't think that is legal in any way and by the way you can't be forced to pay for something you don't want.