EE 1984, Handmaid's Tale, social issues vs literary treatment of the issues

Eus3bia

hey, so I'm doing my EE on the control of information by institutions in 1984 and the Handmaid's Tale, and I am nearly done. However, I was reading the EE Guide, and it said that the focus of the essay should not be a discussion of social issues, rather a discussion of the literary treatment of these issues ( metaphors and such?). My essay is totally a discussion of the social issues, and my school just started IB, so my EE advisor has never done this before. Will I get marked off? Should I change my question?

I haven't done an essay in English, so I don't know exactly. However, it sounds like this is definitely something you can resolve. If you've been discussing the social issues, just go back through your essay and try weaving in how the book has shown these issues and then talk about the social issues. I remember reading this book so I know that there are many literary features, you will just have to dedicate some time to changing the structure of your essay a bit. But don't worry too much! As long as the focus is definitely the book and basically the value of it in terms of these social issues. I hope this helps. Good luck :)

• Like 1

Yes, I think Grace 1 made the correct point, but I would underline that you must make the *focus* of your EE the *literary treatment* of the social issue you are interested in. You are doing literature, and therefore discussing the literary aspects of the book, not social analysis. You are treading dangerous ground if you are using the book as nn excuse (of sorts) for doing something else. Be very careful not to use the book as a springboard to your greater interest (perhaps?) in the social aspects, ... "Weave" literary analysis into your essay, by all means, but the core and all details are firmly in the sphere of literature, not sociology.

• Like 1