IA help please

wings

Ok I have to do this set of math 10 times today and I don't even know if I'm doing the first one right or not. I'm absolutely terrible at this and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out even on one part! I'm so confused and I don't want to get a zero because of confusion :(

Ok so originally, I had 10 cm3 of 3M HCl, No water, no ethyl ethanoate, 1cm3 glacial ethanoic acid, 4 cm3 ethanol, to do a esterification reaction for our equilibrium topic. 25.80 cm3 of NaOH were titrated against the mixture, and 14.30 cm3 of NaOH were titrated against 3M HCl

The questions are as follows

1. How may moles of ethyl ethanoate were there in your original mixture?

2. How many moles of ethanoic acid were there in your original mixture?

3. How many moles of ethanol?

4. How many moles of water? (take into account the water present in the dilute HCl. Weight of 10 cm3 HCl = 9.92g)

5. How may moles of ethanoic acid were there in the mixture at equilibrium? (This can be found from the volume of 1M NaOH needed to titrate the mixture, after subtracting the volume of NaOH needed to titrate 10cm3 of approximately 3M HCl.)

6. How many moles of ethanol were there in the mixture at equilibrium?

7. How many moles of ethyl ethanoate?

8. How many moles of water?

9. Work out the concentrations of water, ethyl ethanoate, ethanol, and ethanoic acid in the mixture at equilibrium. The total volume of the mixture was 15cm3

10. What is the equilibrium concsta of this reaction?

I'm not trying to cheat or to get the answers to a homework assignment and going the easy way out. I've been working on this for hours and I'm more confused than ever and I have no idea if I'm doing it right!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SAVIOR!!!! in advance

Edited by wings

• 4 weeks later...

I think you are just looking for answers. The answer to the first question is 0 moles. I'll try to help you without giving you the answers

Keep in mind that you assume 1cm3 is about 1 ml.

Some useful formulas are:
1) moles = mass/molar mass
2) moles = concentration * volume
3) density = mass/volume

You can use 1 or a combination of 2 of these equations (might need to rearrange) to answer all of your questions. You can find the densities of the compounds such as ethanol using published density values online. Just remember to cite any resource you use. Goodluck!

Ok I have to do this set of math 10 times today and I don't even know if I'm doing the first one right or not. I'm absolutely terrible at this and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out even on one part! I'm so confused and I don't want to get a zero because of confusion :(

Ok so originally, I had 10 cm3 of 3M HCl, No water, no ethyl ethanoate, 1cm3 glacial ethanoic acid, 4 cm3 ethanol, to do a esterification reaction for our equilibrium topic. 25.80 cm3 of NaOH were titrated against the mixture, and 14.30 cm3 of NaOH were titrated against 3M HCl

The questions are as follows

1. How may moles of ethyl ethanoate were there in your original mixture?

2. How many moles of ethanoic acid were there in your original mixture?

3. How many moles of ethanol?

4. How many moles of water? (take into account the water present in the dilute HCl. Weight of 10 cm3 HCl = 9.92g)

5. How may moles of ethanoic acid were there in the mixture at equilibrium? (This can be found from the volume of 1M NaOH needed to titrate the mixture, after subtracting the volume of NaOH needed to titrate 10cm3 of approximately 3M HCl.)

6. How many moles of ethanol were there in the mixture at equilibrium?

7. How many moles of ethyl ethanoate?

8. How many moles of water?

9. Work out the concentrations of water, ethyl ethanoate, ethanol, and ethanoic acid in the mixture at equilibrium. The total volume of the mixture was 15cm3

10. What is the equilibrium concsta of this reaction?

I'm not trying to cheat or to get the answers to a homework assignment and going the easy way out. I've been working on this for hours and I'm more confused than ever and I have no idea if I'm doing it right!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SAVIOR!!!! in advance

A good way to do repeat calculations is to set up an excel spreadsheet.