Universities in UK; Accept Math Studies

HelloNimra

Hi everyone,

Lots of people says that many universities in UK doesn't allows students with Math Studies. However, only Math HL/SL.

I've never been a Math person, so that's why I've choosen Math Studies, it's lot easier.

I wanna attend an University in UK, most likely England; Bristol, Leeds or other nearby London.

I'm planning on studying Law so badly, and my question is;

Do you guys knows any Universities in England who allows Math Studies students, that want to study Law?

- Nimra Iqbal, Denmark.

It depends on what course you want to take. If it s engineering Math HL is required (6 or 7). If you want to take Economics then you need to either get 6 in Math Hl or 7 for Math SL (These are the econ requirements for Bristol and other reputed good univ). Math Studies I doubt it will be accepted for majority of courses. If you are taking art or law ( I don't know, about art and law requirements) Math Studies might be accepted.

Hope I helped you.

It depends on what course you want to take. If it s engineering Math HL is required (6 or 7). If you want to take Economics then you need to either get 6 in Math Hl or 7 for Math SL (These are the econ requirements for Bristol and other reputed good univ). Math Studies I doubt it will be accepted for majority of courses. If you are taking art or law ( I don't know, about art and law requirements) Math Studies might be accepted.

Hope I helped you.

Ohh well, okay thanks. - Indeed, It did a bit.

Well since you already said you wanted to study law and not engineering/economics, you can completely disregard the post about taking HL math. Law is not a math-intensive course, so there should not be a math requirement if at all. You should be OK to take math studies, but to be certain, check the individual university's admissions requirements page (this should be available online). I did a quick search at Bristol and Leeds and they say nothing about having a math requirement.

• Like 1

Well since you already said you wanted to study law and not engineering/economics, you can completely disregard the post about taking HL math. Law is not a math-intensive course, so there should not be a math requirement if at all. You should be OK to take math studies, but to be certain, check the individual university's admissions requirements page (this should be available online). I did a quick search at Bristol and Leeds and they say nothing about having a math requirement.

Thank you so much, x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ashika1235

As long as you're doing HL English, it doesn't matter, you can get into many uni's if you wanna study law with maths studies such as Manchester, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham

Hello!

I'm applying for Law this year, and while I'm doing HL Maths, it makes absolutely no difference! One of my seniors who applied for Law two years before me got into Cambridge and she had Maths Studies.

Maths is only an important subject when applying to UK Universities for some courses (generally Science-related and Economics), definitely not for Law.

If you want to learn more about applying to the UK for Law, you should read this.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Maths Studies is good for pretty much every course that doesn't directly involve Maths, I think is the general rule. English? Yep. Law? Yep. Even Medicine? Yep.

Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, Accounting, Economics = no. It's actually a minority of courses that want more than the lowest level of Maths.

• 5 years later...
On 1/22/2015 at 12:50 PM, Sandwich said:

Maths Studies is good for pretty much every course that doesn't directly involve Maths, I think is the general rule. English? Yep. Law? Yep. Even Medicine? Yep.

Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, Accounting, Economics = no. It's actually a minority of courses that want more than the lowest level of Maths.

Is It really true that you can go into a medicine course with math studies? I'm taking HL bio, HL chem but did not decide to take HL maths because while I do enjoy the sciences, I'm terrible at math. I thought this would have a big affect on my plan to study science. 

On 2/3/2020 at 11:04 PM, Chloecoen said:

Is It really true that you can go into a medicine course with math studies? I'm taking HL bio, HL chem but did not decide to take HL maths because while I do enjoy the sciences, I'm terrible at math. I thought this would have a big affect on my plan to study science. 

Yes in the UK Maths is not required for Medicine (that I am aware of, obviously check the most up to date admissions information for whichever course you are applying to), so there's consequently nothing saying that they want SL Maths Methods over Maths Studies or indeed Maths of any sort. To be honest I think the nuances of which is which between the different options is probably beyond their remit.